8567 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disable raid on smart array 5i

Bob Resnikoff
Occasional Contributor

Disable raid on smart array 5i

Hi,

This may have been discussed previously, but I can't find it. I would like to know if it's possible to disable the raid function on an embedded smart array 5i plus (in a dl380 g3) and use the 5i just as a scsi controller? I intend to
use a scsi attached external raid box and want to avoid double raid overhead. Thanks.

Bob
4 REPLIES 4
Eric Jones_4

Bob,

Did you ever figure this one out? I don't see any replies. I'm looking for the same answer.

Eric
Bob Resnikoff
Occasional Contributor

Eric,

I never got an answer to this question. In the end, it was simpler to buy an additional scsi card and attach my raid box to it. This worked without problems.

Bob
Eric Jones_4

Bob,

Thanks for the quick response, I have already settled for buying a PCI-X SCSI Controller. Too bad, until now I had liked the Proliants better than the Poweredges.

Eric
Frank Van Riet
Advisor

Eric,

It's quite simple : you can't just disable the RAID funtion of a 5i+... Smart array controller are pure RAID controllers, not SCSI controllers.

Also, HP only supports HP storage connected to Smart Arrays, not third party storage.

So, an additional SCSI card is the best choice.

This being said : if you looked for an external RAID solution, why didn't you look at the MSA500? relatively cheap, uses the same disks as the internal ProLiant disks, and you can connect up to 4 servers....and it connects directly to the 5i+....

Cheers,

Frank Van Riet
PM Commercial Storage
HP Belgium