New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disaster Recovey Plan

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alan Vargas
Regular Advisor

Disaster Recovey Plan

Hello,

i need some help about this topic, i'm working with a EVA 3000 and i need to replay the data from this EVA (source) to another EVA (target),the second EVA (target) is in another Data Center, in fact, this Data Center is locate in another country.

I need to know how can i do to reply this data ? What software do i require?

I was searching and i gotta these opcions:

Business Continuity
Continous Access
Data Protector

But i'm not sure if i use this software i can reply from EVA to another EVA directly in orden to offer a Disaster Recovery Solution.

Any advice.
8 REPLIES 8
Richard Perez
Valued Contributor

Alan
I'm pretty sure you will replicate using IP instead of DWDM between countries.

What are the operating system of the servers connected to the EVA? If they are Windows, you can use STorage Mirroring
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Alan:

To do EVA to EVA hardware replication, you would use Continous Access. Since your datacenters are far apart, you will likely have to use replication of IP which will require some FcIP routers on both sides of the link. I am by far no expert when it comes to replication in the matter, but hope to become one soon as my company may be moving one of our datacenters further away then it is requiring use to use FcIP.

The greater the distance, the more latency and the more restrictions on the type of replication you can use.

CA-EVA is more of Disaster Tolerance, not Disaster Recovery, but still an integral part of your Recovery Plan. Data Protector as your Enterprise Backup Solution combined with Business Copy is a good start to haveing a good Revovery Plan. The 3 products work together to give you a Disaster Tolerance and Recovery Solution.

Continous Access is just a license that is needed to allow the EVA's to replicate to each other.

Data Protector is your Backup Solution, software based. You would need to combine this with a Tape Library.

Business Copy is also a license tyhat allows the EVA to do BC.

Both BC and CA use RSM Software to control the functionality.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

1. How large are your critical storage that need to be replicated?
2. Also, what's the rate of change of your data on a day to day basis?
3. And finally - what is your network bandwidth between your data centers?

All of the above will dictate the solution that will fit best for you.

I am deeply involved in a DR plan for our new HP-UX infrastructure where initially our direction is tofollow what we've done for our Solaris environments. Lately however, since the daily amount of data that changes seem to be manageable and we have the network bandwidth between data centers - I am seriously looking at implementing a Veritas replication solution using VVR - Veritas Volume Replicator. Since we now are using Veritas products heavily on our HP-UX environments (VxVM, VxFS, FlashSnap) - I think VVR is a good fit and we will not be beholden to any proprietary hardware array or SAN. Also, we will be free of any cluster dependency as VVR based failover from my research is a very simple process -- not as elegant as "cluster" solutions but it should do the job at least for our needs.

Hakuna Matata.
Alan Vargas
Regular Advisor

hello Steven Clementi

Thanks again, i have another question

1.- The ploblem if i use Data Protector the replication is not in real time,that my problems, as i know the replication run througth ZDB backup and need to reply in real time.

2.- if i use this licence (Continous Access) for EVA can i manage 2 EVA in diferent locate with the same Command View ?

3.- If it├В┬┤s in real time (continous access) must it exist a syncronisation between two EVA ?

Thanks for you comment.

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

If you have FC connection (dark fibre?) between your data centers -- then you certainly can use CA/EVA. If you don't - which is likely the case then you've no other option but to use a solution like Veritas VVR or a similar suite.
Hakuna Matata.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Alan:

2.- if i use this licence (Continous Access) for EVA can i manage 2 EVA in diferent locate with the same Command View ?

If the 2 eva's are int he same SAN, and you can present both EVA's to the SMA/SM Server, then yes. I currently manage 3 EVA 6000's. 2 in Dite 1 and 1 in site 2, separated via Dark Fibre. I have 2 Storage Management Servers, but use only 2. 1 for my Quality Control environment and 1 for the 2 EVA's in pre-production.

3.- If it├Г ├В┬┤s in real time (continous access) must it exist a syncronisation between two EVA ?

Synchronous - data is written on the target EVA before the source EVA continues.
Asynchronous - data is written on the target EVA, but the source continues to process data with needed a confirmation that the replicated data is written from the target.

Sync is more real time, but of course based on latency. It is slower performance, but better guarantee of Data Availability

Async is better performance, but less guarantee of available data availability.

With Continous Access, the EVA's replications groups are always "sync'ing" with each other, unless you pasue them.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> 1.- The ploblem if i use Data Protector the replication

This is a bit confusing as they call it 'local replication'. It is about creating snapclones _within_ the same EVA box using EVA's snapshot feature.