Disk Enclosures
1748209 Members
2805 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Array - Dead Disk??

Gururaj Gudi

Disk Array - Dead Disk??

I am having some problems with a disk array. Today morning I saw that the "Fault" led of the disk array was on. I restarted the server and since then the disk array (HP 20) is inaccessible.

I tried vgdisplay
$ vgdisplay -v /dev/vg01
vgdisplay: Volume group not activated.
vgdisplay: Cannot display volume group "/dev/vg01".

I tried pvdisplay
$ pvdisplay -v /dev/dsk/c0t5d0
pvdisplay: Warning: couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c0t5d0":
The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to
this volume group
pvdisplay: Warning: couldn't query all of the physical volumes.
pvdisplay: Couldn't retrieve the names of the physical volumes
belonging to volume group "/dev/vg01".
pvdisplay: Cannot display physical volume "/dev/dsk/c0t5d0".

IOSCAN does not show the disk.
$ ioscan -fnC disk
Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
======================================================================
disk 1 10/0.6.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE SEAGATE ST34371W
/dev/dsk/c0t6d0 /dev/rdsk/c0t6d0
disk 2 10/12/5.2.0 sdisk CLAIMED DEVICE TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-4101TA
/dev/dsk/c1t2d0 /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0

The disk array is showing the busy light continuously.

Is the array dead? I checked the cabling but it seems OK.I went through various thread on the topic but it has not helped either.

Thanks a lot!!!
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.
6 REPLIES 6
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

For the model 20 disk array, you'll need to connect a vt100 terminal (emulator) to one of the controllers and see what error messages are present. If there is an orange light on the front panel, you have a hardware failure and you'll have to call for service.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Gururaj Gudi

Thanks for the reply. I had an orange light but after restart it is not there now but the busy and ready lights are on continuously.

I tried connecting the array to console but did not have success. Any pointers?

Thanks
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.
Paula J Frazer-Campbell
Honored Contributor

HI
Next step I would try is:-

Power off
Fit Wrist strap
Unplug and reseat all array related cables and disks (Seversal times).

Power up and test.

Paula
If you can spell SysAdmin then you is one - anon
Sukant Naik
Trusted Contributor

Hi Gururaj,

Looks like one of the disks would have failed and it it trying. I dont know if the array supports autoraid.

Issues might be:
1. Usually, the array will try to rebuild the RAID. Leave the array ON for a while and hopefully you will get the data back.

2. I pull out the disks a little from the array and then check whether the controller is seen from the server and then plug the disks back.

Just my 2 cents.

- Sukant

Who dares he wins
Hemant

Hi
I think this is Model 20 NIKE. You told u r not getting any display when you have connected terminal to Array. Try connecting terminal to SP A or SP B console. There are 2 ports on back where u can connect terminal. And then try restarting the array. You should get some display or junk display . In case of junk display try adjusting term. charcterstics like 8 bit odd parity, 7 bit odd parity on terminal. I am not sure abt the setting on term. You should get some display. the array takes some time to be online. You will get display showing all disks ( 20 disks ) .
But generally whenever you see Fault on disk in array u should remove the disk w/o giving a try to reboot the array. I guess the disks will be in RAID 5 mode, and it should not be a problem removing a disk. When u put a good disk back in the slot, it starts rebuilding on it automatically.
Best Luck
Jan Mlotkiewicz
Occasional Advisor

Did you set the console to be EM100 emulation?
Having a terminal type of HP doesn't usually get anything back to the console. ( This is assuming you're using one of the standard HP consoles )

Once you get some output to the screen, stick it in the presentation display and see what you get - it's possible your disks are spun up but in a RDY state from both SP, which means you're not going to see them from anywhere.