1752794 Members
5744 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Disk Array shutdown/startup at system boot

SOLVED
Go to solution

Disk Array shutdown/startup at system boot

How do I shutdown and startup the disk array whenever the server is shutdown?
Ex: the server is shutdown with -r option Sunday mornings after full backup. I am trying to shutdown and startup the autoraid at the same time,. I created a script in /sbin/init.d with the S/K links but it will not start the disk array. I can manually run the script and all is good. It will shutdown and startup the disk array without any problems but I am unable to accomplish this by calling the script at shutdown and reboot time. Autoraid is SureStore E Disk Array 12H.
4 REPLIES 4
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Disk Array shutdown/startup at system boot

Hi Rebecca:

I suspect that /opt/hparray/bin is not in your PATH when the /sbin/init.d script is run. You need to add/export it to the PATH in the script itself.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.

Is this process something that I really should be doing? Ex: the server is rebooted to clear any memory leaks,clear dmesg, etc. Should the autoraid be shutdown as well on a weekly basis or should it remain up unless issues require it to be shutdown?
Thanks.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Rebecca:

My advice is too not shutdown/startup the array. I typically let these things run for months until a firmware change or maintenance is needed. I have kept some of these up for over threee years without a single shutdown while replacing controllers, batteries, and drives. My advice is also that there is no need for periodic reboots of your server either especially as often as weekly. Remember, the greatest stress on components occurs at power-on. As for dmesg, the buffer is circular and there are better ways to monitor the system anyway. If you have memory leaks, the answer is to have the vendor fix the code. There is really no excuse for memory leaks. Typically, the only time your server needs to come down is for scheduled maintenance such as patchsets.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.

Just an FYI - I do have /opt/hparray/bin in the path. However, with your last response, I am not going to waste anymore time with this issue.

Thanks for you help,
Rebecca