3836 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk Detection Utility Help

Dan_394
Advisor

Disk Detection Utility Help

Hi

I've got a HP storagewroks disk array. I've created logical drives, each array is configured to be "1+0" raided. My question is how can I see which drives are the master and which drives are the mirror? hpacucli just lists all the drives in logical drive. I need a bit more detail to do that, any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Dan

P.S. This thread has been moved from general to Disk Array. - Hp Forum moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Dan,

Can you be a bit more specific. Which of the many StorageWorks products do you have ?

Cheers,

Rob
Dan_394
Advisor

Hi

I've got a 4200 model. Hope this helps.

Dan
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

For any RAID1 it's not possible to designate any disk as master and other as mirror. It's only when you create the diskset, you create the LUN and then you mirror it, once mirrored storage will not differentiate it anymore.

By the way what do you want to achieve from this? Mirror concept:

Write: Write to any of the disk, whichever available first and then whenever second disk is free write the same to it.

Read: Read request is always sent to the disk available with no pending request or with minimum pending reuquest (read/write requests).

Hope this helps....
Dan_394
Advisor

Hi

Thanks for the valuable info. It cleared up a lot. Is there some documentation that you can point me to that will show how this works?

One question what decides which disk is free, is it the raid card I've got in the dl380 or the disk array?

Another point if I am writing to disks and it and I get a failure in the disk array, from your description it sounds like there is a chance of getting data loss as the write may not have been committed to the second disk, is that right?

Thanks
Dan
Dan_394
Advisor

Hi

Sorry one more question,

I've created an array, where we have some disks in one channel and other disks on another channel on the disk array. What I wanted to know was how can I verify that the mirror for a particular disk is on the other channel as opposed to the same channel. For example currently my array has the following disks in it:

1:1
1:2
1:3
2:1
2:2
2:3

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Dan