Disk Enclosures
1752756 Members
4840 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Disk group allocation rules

Disk group allocation rules

Are there any allocation rules I should be aware of? For instance, my EVA will be SAN attached via (?4?) FC channels. Can a disk group/luns only be allocated to a specific channel, or can I allocate lun 1 to one security zone, lun 2 (of the same group) to another zone/host, ...? Can I allocate a mix of luns from the same disk group to different operating system types (eg HPUX and Tru64, possibly Windows/Novell in future)?

With our XP512, each FC port has a configured "host mode", so that if I want to allocate storage to HP it has to go via port 1, Tru64 via port 2 (simplified example, everything is dual pathed for the XP's). I'm assuming that a SAN attached EVA will have similar host mode setup for it's FC ports?

Thanks a lot guys - very helpful so far.
2 REPLIES 2

Bah! Sorry for this thread - meant to post a reply to http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=301007

Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

The EVA sets the OS type of the "HOSTS" internal to the EVA, not at the SAN port level. I have AIX and VMS Cluster (about 100) that use all 4 ports of the EVA simultaneously. This all comes from the same 24TB disk group.

Welcome to MULTI_BUS failover and 4 paths to your storage. (At least for VMS and TRU-64)

All LUNS can potentially be presented out all 4 ports if the hosts (servers) are configured that way. You can present the LUN to all HOSTS in the same cluster. (Thats about 250 maximum nodes that are supported in a VMS environment)
VMS SAN mechanic