1752837 Members
3636 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Distributing LUNs online between the 2 controolers in FC60

Naga_2
Occasional Advisor

Distributing LUNs online between the 2 controolers in FC60

I have an FC60 Disk Array system with two contorllers installed. Currently I have 10 LUNs created on only one controller say Controller A. I was wondering if I can distribute these LUNs between two controllers online or without distroying any data. I want to distribute 5 LUNS on each disk. Like 0,2,4,6,8 on Controller A and 1,3,5,7,9 on Controller B.
3 REPLIES 3
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Yes, Controller ownership of an existing LUN can be changed without impacting the LUN using amcfg.

Syntax: amcfg -M -c

Ex:

The following example changes the ownership of LUN 2 to controller B on disk array 00000742HG87.
amcfg -M 2 -c B 00000742HG87

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

You did not mention if you are using a Windows or HP-UX version of the FC60.

But in both cases: Yes you can do it!

If it is the HP-UX version here is the text out of the service manual:
- Controller ownership can be changed on an existing LUN without impacting its operation. If you find that there is an imbalance between I/O path loads, you can change the ownership of one or more LUNs to solve the problem.

Note: Does the primary path selected using LVM impact LUN ownership?
Yes. The primary I/O path established using LVM defines the owning controller for the LUN. This may override the controller ownership defined when the LUN
was bound. For example, if controller A was identified as the owning controller when the LUN was bound, and LVM subsequently stablished the primary path to the LUN through controller B, controller B becomes the owning controller.

If you are using the Window version, use the SM60 NT Array Management GUI. Ther you can change the LUN ownership of the controllers.
Out of the NT Manual:
Volume Group >> Change Ownership
If a particular controller has considerably more I/O activity than
expected, consider moving a volume group to the other
controller in the Storage Array using the
Volume Group >> Change Ownership option.

Cheers
Peter
I love storage
Naga_2
Occasional Advisor

Thank You Guys for the response.

I am using HPUX 11.0.

Thanks,

Naga