7451 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Document on read/write on 2 servers

Jason Ng Teng Po
Frequent Advisor

Document on read/write on 2 servers

Hi All,

Do you guys know which document I can find that stated that 1 vdisk cannot read/write at the same time on 2 servers?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: Document on read/write on 2 servers

Hello,

this is by design for the most filesystems. Only cluster filesystems can handle this. There is a lock manager, which manages the multiple access to the same file from more then one host.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Jason Ng Teng Po
Frequent Advisor

Hi Patrick thanks your feedback. I myself as a technical person knows about this but my customer requires a written proof from HP document about this. I tried searching around for this in HP website unfortunately I cannot find any :(
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I don't think that there is a document from HP. Maybe you will find something written by the operating system developer, if you're using windows the Microsoft TechNet would be advisable.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

If you're talking about an storage array, it's a block server, not a file server.
Your customer is confusing things. There's other devices like NAS that can act as file servers, and share files for several servers.

A block server provides a series of empty data sectors, and then the operating system creates it's filesystem structures on it (FAT32 / NTFS / Extfs2 / LVM / etc). The OS keeps tables to know what data sectors belong to what files. These tables have to be updated by the OS in a consistent way.
If two independent operating systems use the same physical space, each one will create it's mapping between files and data sectors, and there will be a mix of both filesystems on the disk.