Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downshifts & Timeouts

M.Duffy
Occasional Contributor

Downshifts & Timeouts

Hi all,
I have an issue with downshifts and timeouts occurring on one of my storage boxes, it is also causing corruption on one array, I am suspecting a faulty disk (due to it only affecting a single array)

My question is, is there any way to check the physical disk interface speeds?? i have seen it mentioned on another thread but didnt say how it was done

OS is Windows 2003

Cheers,
Mark
5 REPLIES
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Re: Downshifts & Timeouts

You should generate an report with the Array Diagnostic Utility and have it checked by someone inside HP or here.
M.Duffy
Occasional Contributor

Please find attached report.

Cheers,
Mark
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Smart Array 6i in slot 0

Physical Drive 2:1 Read Errors Hard 33, Some "Read Retries Exhausted" 72 days ago, "Recovered Data Without Ecc" recently

The other 5 disks are OK

Smart Array 6400 in slot 1

Physical Drive 1:0, 1:1, 1:2 show:
- Bus Faults
- Hardware Errors
- Under-run
- Data Overrun
- This io-process was killed by a xDTR negotiation

These 3 drives form a RAID 5 with 1:3 as spare

Physical Drive 1:3 - 1:15 show none of these

What kind of enclosure is attached to the Smart Array 6400? The SCSI ID assignments do not look like the HP typical ones.
Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

Update firmware on the disks. 1:0, 1:1 and 1:2 are BF1468B26B with firmware HPB6. 1:15 has firmware HPB9 and shows no errors.

That model is one of the affected by this advisory:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00859596&dimid=1065800144&dicid=alr_apr08&jumpid=em_alerts/us/apr08/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category_Advisory(Revision/alerts

Which says precisely:

FIRMWARE UPGRADE REQUIRED to Avoid Timeouts and SCSI Downshifts...
M.Duffy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help so far, i have applied the firmware and i'm now keeping an eye on the logs

The Enclosure is an MSA30