108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Drive array device failure

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Urbanski
Occasional Advisor

Drive array device failure

Chassis controller slot 1, port 1, Bus 1, Bay2.

Is this telling me that I have a bad drive with a red light on or is it card problem.
I use the SA 641. Thanks for the help.
5 REPLIES 5
marius402
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: Drive array device failure

Sounds like a drive failure. This can be an actual failure or even be as trivial as somebody pulling adrive out. Your RAID should protect the drive. Pull the drive (with flashing red light) out and re-seat the drive. Go into ACU and re-enable the drive. If it still flashes red after re-inserting the drive into the array then my guess would be to replace the drive :)

Cheers

Marius
Mike Urbanski
Occasional Advisor

Marius402: Thanks for the help.
I reset the drive and it started to rebuild the data. It completed in 40 minutes. I do have a new drive coming overnight on warranty as I don't have confidence in that drive. What is ACU? I am in a Novell enviroment.
-Mike
marius402
Valued Contributor

HP's Array Configuration Utility. You can run it either as a NLM or use the SmartStart CD to boot from and run the util.

No harm in just replacing the drive if you are willing the risk to wait for the replacement

Thanx

Marius
Rachel Chipman
Advisor

The first two drives in our array have the red X lit on them. Is there anyway to recover the drives or are we going to have reinstall the O/S?

Thanks.
Rachel
marius402
Valued Contributor

Rachel,

It depends on how your Disk sets were configured the first time. If you used ADG then your Raidset should be fine if you replace both drives. If your Raidset were configured with RAID0+1 then you might have a slight chace that the two disk were in two different RAID1 sets, with no data loss. There is also possibility that if you had a Global Hot spare that the Raidset managed to rebuild onto the hot spare before the failure of the second drive

But unfortunately the most common setup is RAID5, with no hot spare. Failure of more than one drive in a Raidset means the entire Raidset has failed, you will have to replace the drives, re-configure your raidsets and then doa a restore

Thanx

Marius