1753473 Members
4426 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dual Bus enclosures MSA 30

michael wood_4
Occasional Contributor

Dual Bus enclosures MSA 30

Could anybody offer me an explanation of why to use a dual bus enclosure for NAS devices and how it works.
Many thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Explaination? Maybe more of an opinion...

For ANY server, including a NAS... one would use a DUAL bus shelf instead of a SINGLE bus self for better protection from failures. What I mean is this... With a dual bus shelf, you can have a RAID1 set across the 2 buses and if a BUS fails, then your safe. Also think about the possibility of the whole shelf failing.

Another reason is to have seperate I/O to different drives. Perhaps you have an app that will HEAVILY hit the drives. You can have 2 array controllers, one for BUS 1 and the other for BUS 2. You lose a bit for storage since you need to creay 2 arrays, but you get better performance as well as some protection (from a single dual bus Smart Array failure).

Would I use a dual bus MSA30 on a NAS? Maybe, if there was an absolute need for it. Maybe you want to seperate your data... UNIX vs. Windows and want to have seperate protection at the host level. I probably would not use a dual bus shelf, but rather 2 single bus shelves for expandability.

Steven

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
michael wood_4
Occasional Contributor

many thanks
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

This feature is also useful for creating a highly available configuration with two computers in a cluster for the NAS head.
Mom 6