Disk Enclosures
1748008 Members
4501 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Dual Domain MSA70

Richard Gillham

Dual Domain MSA70

I have purchased a MSA 70 with the additional I/O module so I can create two paths to each disk. However when I connect up the device to the P800 controller as described in the instruction the drive are shown as connected to port 1e. Following a reboot of the controller has no arrays configured!

If I connect up the P800 in the following configuration:
P800 Port 1e --> I/O module 1 in port
P800 Port 2e --> I/O module 2 out port

I see the same drive appearing on both 1e and 2e.

I have logged a call with HP but so far I'm yet to find someone who knows about the dual domain module (AG779A)

All devices have the up to date firmware (p800=4.12, MSA=2.1), the backplane is 430149-001 and the disks are dual port.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Rich
10 REPLIES 10
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Rich,

you need Firmware 5.10 for the P800.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick

Patrick,

Can you tell me where to get v5.10 of the firmware for the P800? The latest I can find is v4.12.

BTW, I called support and they said that MPIO software is required. But HP does not provide an MPIO DSM for the MSA70. I have our technical client consultant checking on how this is supported in Windows with no DSM, but he is having trouble finding anyone who knows how this is supported in Windows.

Christopher
Dan Mauney

Rich,
The dual domain support for the MSA60 & MSA70 using the AG779A I/O module upgrade kit, announced back in Feb '08, is currently only for support with the Integrity Server Line & HP's AH303A HBA controller. The dual domain support in the Proliant Servers using the P800 Smart Array controller, should be available with FW updates on the web in a couple of weeks, for both the P800 HBA to v5.20 and the MSA60/70 Enclosure to v2.16. (the quickspecs were put out a little early & will be retracted until the web based FW upgrades are available).
The proper configuration is to connect each P800 external port to the "IN" ports of each I/O module 1 & 2 when only using one MSA70 (no cascading).
Richard Gillham

Thanks for your replies.

I've had to implemented the two MSAs in single domain configuration because of deadlines.

I guess I'll have to wait until version 5.1 or above is released and then if any multipathing software is released. Very annoying that HP sold a product that currently does not work. Could have saved a considerable amount of money by not buying the i/o module and single port drives.

Thanks for your advice, your comments were a lot better responses than I got from HP support.

Dan Mauney

Rich,
P800 FW=5.10 was not released. It was being internally tested by HP back in March '08. P800 FW=5.20 was just signed off for Proliant Server/P800/MSA60-70 dual domain, & will be available as a web release in a couple of weeks.
Until then, continue to use a single I/O module in the MSA60-70 in a single domain/single port drive configuration.

Reguards,
Dan
Edmund White
Frequent Advisor

Are there any other advantages to going the dual-domain route with these enclosures? Does this work with P400 controllers with internal drive cages?
Brett Mullins

Dan or whomever -
Also attempting to set up a Proliant with P800 and MSA70 dual domain configuration.

Does the dual domain config support dual P800 controllers for additional redundancy? Or only one controller? Seems kind of pointless to implement additional redundancy in the MSA70 only to have a single point of failure for the controller.
Dan Mauney

Rich,
The proper configuration for the P800 cabling for dual domain is the port 1e --> I/O mod 1 "in" port, but the second port 2e needs to go to the I/O mod 2 "in" port, not "out".
The critical piece missing is the dual port support FW for the P800 needs to be v5.20 (MSA is current with v2.10 or later). P800 v5.20 is available under the Firmware - Storage Controller section, online ROM flash component (v5.20, dated 23 May 2008) for the SA P800 at the hp website at (copy & paste URL):
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1157691&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1157686&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#29214
Richard Gillham

Dan,

Thanks for the help on this issue. I have now resolved this. The problem I experienced was caused by the fact HP had not released the version 5.1 (or 5.2 which was the eventually released version) for the P800 controller. I run my dual domain configuration by using both ports on the P800 controller to the MSA.

Brett, I understand your point that this leaves the P800 as a single point of failure but I dont believe you can use two controllers to one MSA. The firmware on the P800 creates the two paths (active/standby). I don't think two P800 controllers would work because there is no software multipathing for this.

Hope that helps

Regards

Rich