New Discussion юеВ

Dual duty for HP Surestore C7200

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul J. Ledbetter, II
Frequent Advisor

Dual duty for HP Surestore C7200

Greetings,
I have a C7200 Ultrium Tape Library. Each of the two drives are currently connected to a different HP9000 L2000 via SCSI. Everything works fine.

What I would like to do is leverage my investment in the library by adding a fibre channel card into one of the open slots of the library, and then make a fibre channel connection to a Windows 2003 server running Veritas Backup Exec. Therefore, when my UNIX backup is not running, I can back up my Windows files, all on the same tape drive(s).

Is this even possible? What would be some recommended equipment?
I may not know everything, but I'm working on it...
4 REPLIES 4
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Dual duty for HP Surestore C7200

you can connect you library to the SAN and share it through several servers and platform, but you need one unique backup software with agent on every server that may use the library in order to maintain the catalogue and to share the picker, in other world one server have to be the master and the other can be instructed by it to use the LTO.

or you can do it yourself by hand, loading the needed cartridge and deniing access to server that are not interested in the backup at that time, but it would be a nightmare
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

hi,
You cannot do this unless you have a intelligent backup software.
Why don't you try usin Dataprotector/OmnibackII software.

regs
I'll sleep when i am dead.
Paul J. Ledbetter, II
Frequent Advisor

Marino,
I do not have a SAN set up. Could you give me an example of an appropriate one?
I may not know everything, but I'm working on it...
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28616/lpg28616.pdf

this is a starting point, but obviously if you have to plan an action for the future, it is better to ask some consultant, he will be able to prepare your san for future expantions