1753973 Members
7620 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: E200 with Linux

Daniel Kipp
Occasional Advisor

I reported the problem to my dealer and asked for help. due to a missing software contract my dealer could only offer to ask a personal contact from hp's storage arrea. i've got the answer, that the stated writing perfomance should be a realistic value for the e200. just can't believe it.

had anyone tested the e200 with a w2k3 installation? i think that'll be the next step for me, at least to prove that the controller should work faster than 11MB/s...

Christoph Muster

I can't believe it!
I just connected a single disk to the internal SATA controller and i have write rate of 35 MB/s....
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

SATA disks often have higher bit densities or a different geometry and _can_ beat SCSI/SAS disks in pure MegaBytes/second spiral transfer-rate.
Daniel Kipp
Occasional Advisor

sure. but in my case 3 sata hdds are attached to the e200 to work as raid5, another 2 sata's work as raid1 on the same controller, not scsi/sas. and i guess a couple of the above described cases also refer to sata-disc installations.
Daniele Palumbo
Advisor

mine, for example.

i have 4 sata disk on a E200.

can anyone test the drive in md, aka the linux raid software?

if it works better than hardware E200...

bye
d.
Adam Hansen
Occasional Advisor

You guys are going to love this. I talked to CDW and they say the e200 is the economy controller and said that I needed to go with the P400 controller. So I plop down $500, connect the controller and run this command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/vm/bigfile count=10 bs=500M

and get an average speed of 12.6 MB/s... this is slower than the e200. I'm about at the end of my rope.
KastL

Does everyone have backup battery installed?
Daniele Palumbo
Advisor

i have it.

but this is not relevant, the real question should be: who have acceleration enabled?

i do.
(and i guess all of us have it)

bye
d.
KastL

You see I don't have E200 yet, but I decided to buy one. I've searched for information about this controller and found this thread. I asked local distributer about low speed problems with E200 controller in Linux and he told me that it's not a bug it's a feature. It writes slowly only without backup battery because the write cash is not protected without backup battery. And low write speed is a feature to protect data when it's been writing.
I'm planing to install RHEL 5.2
Daniele Palumbo
Advisor

feel free to think what you want, and to belive to who want to sell you the controller.

imho, also WITHOUT the battery backup the performance described in this thread are very weak.

bye
d.