EMA12000 and HSUTIL problem formatting 146GB drives - "error: misconfigured"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lyndon Handy
Frequent Advisor

EMA12000 and HSUTIL problem formatting 146GB drives - "error: misconfigured"

re: EMA12000, 2xHSG80's, ACS 8.6S-13, 146GB drives, HSUTIL problem
"misconfigured"

I ran HSUTIL a few times to format 6 new 146GB drives (mix of HPB6 and HPB7 firmware). There appeared to be a scsi reset, and these 6 drives appear to be in a "misconfigured state". "show disk" yields an error "Misconfigured: No device at this PTL, please see product documentation".

Deleting/adding the disk has no effect. Earlier this week running HSUTIL on a separate batch of new disks had no errors and the drives are configured and it use.

- Is there a known problem with this drive firmware HPB6 or HPB7?
- How do I get the misconfigured drives back again?

The main challenge is that HSUTIL is needed to format the new drives to avoid the extra 7MB partition problem from surfacing on Windows 2000 hosts.

Thanks,

LKH
"tried and true instead of new and improved"
3 REPLIES 3
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: EMA12000 and HSUTIL problem formatting 146GB drives - "error: misconfigured"

HSUTIL ?? Ugh... You might have killed your drives :-(

Here is the customer advisory which suggests using DILX instead:
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=OD010710_CW01.xml&dt=3
Lyndon Handy
Frequent Advisor

Re: EMA12000 and HSUTIL problem formatting 146GB drives - "error: misconfigured"

Uwe:

We replaced the 6 "misconfigured" 146GB drives with fresh new drives, ran the DILX procedure in the Advisory no problem.

But how can we recover our new 146GB "misconfigured" drives? We have 2 AlphaServer ES40's in our lab with two internal universal drive cages, and a number of Proliant DL class servers. Can we use these servers to properly format the drives and bring them back to a consistent state for installation in the EMA12000?

Thanks

LKH
"tried and true instead of new and improved"
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hello Lyndon.

I am sorry, but I have no idea what HSUTIL did to the drives. It might be as simple as a mode page change, but I simply can't tell. I am afraid you have to return them for 'repair'.