1748060 Members
5682 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EMC inq utility on hp-ux 10.20

CDI Support
Advisor

EMC inq utility on hp-ux 10.20

I have a HP K series server running hpux 10.20 connected to EMC disk storage unit using f/w/d SCSI. inq version I am using is V7.1-131.

Trying to find physical disks, capacity information, logical disks associated with the physical disk & which SCSI director/channel connected with the logical disk.

Can anyone help me with these ??
3 REPLIES 3
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Re: EMC inq utility on hp-ux 10.20

Did EMC load any software with your box...something like EMC System Manager Base Component or Enabler?

The 'inq' I believe you are mentioning is at /usr/symmapps/bin/inq. It's been awhile, but I believe I simply ran this and outputed it to /tmp/inq.out. Then when I brought up the symmetrix gui, I used this /tmp/inq.out for the volume label information.

Instead of writing alot of info your not interested in...let me know if this is what your needing?

regards
CDI Support
Advisor

Thanks for the reply,

I don't have GUI interface. Right now I can only read the inq.out file which has the following informations for each disk device.

Device: /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0
Vend: EMC
Prod: Symmetrix
Rev: 5265
Ser Num: 8 digit number
Cap: capacity in kb

I know all the informations are in the serial No. field which I don't remember right now.
Jordan Bean
Honored Contributor

inq v7.1-131 comes with ECC 4.1. Do you have EMC ControlCenter installed? The default installataion directories are /opt/emc and /usr/emc. If you have inq, then you should have at least the Base component. (Do you have a white-blue-silver box with "EMC ControlCenter" on a silver sticker label?)

Do you have an X11 graphics display, either locally or for Windows like X-Win32, Exceed, or Reflection?

Are you also using PowerPath 1.5+?

Now, just assuming you don't have the GUI component or X11 capabilities anywhere:

inq should be in /usr/emc/ECC/bin (default). Other commands you should have are syminq and symdev in /opt/emc/SYMCLI/4.x/bin.

inq -h should return its cli options.

This is how to read the serial number, XXYYYZZZ:

XX = last 2 digits of Symmetrix serial
YYY = symmetrix device volume label
ZZZ = device emulation and protection

You can determine to which Symm ports a device is assigned with inq -et. Look at the DIR-P column.