1748195 Members
3229 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EMC queue depth

George A Bodnar
Trusted Contributor

EMC queue depth

Does anyone have a good formula for what the queue_depth paramter should be set to (or if it should even be increased) for devices on this unit?

We have a mixture of meta-volumes (striped disks) and regular devices which by default all are getting a queue_depth of 8.

My hunch is the metas (4 regular devices) should probably be at least 16 but possibly as high as 32.

We are going to experiment on this, but was curious to see what others have done. A search of the forums and EMC support site shows generic references to queue_depth but nothing concrete.
11 REPLIES 11
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: EMC queue depth

Do you have access to login into

http://powerlink.emc.com ?

If not, register and get a login, btw your emc rep can help you.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

Depending the size of the data files as well as the DB block sizes, I would recommend either 16 or 32.

Regards,

RZ
George A Bodnar
Trusted Contributor

Yes have access to Powerlink - didn't find any interesting documents. We actually are working with our EMC rep on this and they gave us some documents - but once again nothing specific.

Just looking for some other opinions to see what other people are doing.

We are probably going to bump some of our meta devices to 16 and see if there is any change - good or bad.
Stuart Abramson_2
Honored Contributor

What is the "queue_depth" parameter?

What is it a parameter of? Not HP-UX?
George A Bodnar
Trusted Contributor

The queue_depth is set per device using the scsictl command. Also there are some kernel parameters (scsi_max_qdepth) and something else on 11i that affect this behavior for all devices.
Tim Sanko
Trusted Contributor

George,

Our queue depth is set to 16, according to our documentation on our setup documents.

We use 64GB Metas as well as 8.43 gb hypers for our HFS Filesystems. We trust the SYMM to protect our data.

Tim
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

Hey George,
After a year has gone by did upping the queue depths ever have any good effects ?
George A Bodnar
Trusted Contributor

Honestly never really got a good feel for this - we actually backed out making changes due to other things that were in the queue.

I never found anybody (EMC/HP/other) that could state if/how this would help. In fact found a few sources that said they didn't believe it would make a difference.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

On our VxVM managed Solaris systems, I used to have an EMC hooked up and we left our Qdepth at 8 and maxphysIO at 1MB.

Someone posted this whitepaper on Q depth a few days ago. It might help.

As a general rule, Array Controller Port Qdepth => no.of LUNs x Q depth.

Hakuna Matata.