108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EMC to RAID array-K460-10.20

SOLVED
Go to solution
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

EMC to RAID array-K460-10.20

I have been tasked with performing a disk conversion on a K460 running 10.20.
The box is currently attached to a EMC unit via two A2969A HSC FWD SCSI-2 cards on the HSC expansion buss, using PV links. The other two slots are ???currently??? used for ATM and FDDI. The ATM will be replaced by a 10/100 ethernet card. The FDDI might stay for access to a DLT/28
I need to change from a EMC Symetrix to an inexpensive (ATA?), yet reliable RAID disking array, approx 100GB or so.
Any ideas??

Swapping out the (A2969A) 20MB/s cards, is an option, if there is something better...SCSI-3 160MB maybe??

App info: Oracle 7.3.4.5.0 application server.
($ORA_HOME & the .rdo log files would reside on software mirrored jamaica disks)

Thanks for any help/direction you can provide! ???
~jdk
Dare to Dream
14 REPLIES 14
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

A good choice for a replacement would be an HP Virtual Array. The VA7100 (the smallest VA) would appropriate for your 100GB storage needs. See http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/products/disk_arrays/midrange/va7100/index.html for more details.

You would need to change your SCSI cards for Fibre Channel cards, models A6684A or A6685A.

You can use LVM's mirroring capability to make your transition from the EMC to the VA painless and with little downtime (you will need to down the server to change one of the SCSI cards to a FC card before you begin the migration).

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

Vincent,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, I agree, that would be my choice also, as I recently finished a rather lengthy investigation into SAN & NAS storage devices. :)
However, that was then, :( what is happening now is ..we are being merged (takeover) with a "sister" company. Sis does not like HP EMC or Oracle for that matter. Sis does not like service contracts. Sis does not want to spend much $.$.
I believe the VA runs around 45k. I would like to give them a span from there down to a $1,500 scsi ATA array. That is, if it's possible.
Your opinion and others are GREATLY appreciated on this subject.

~jdk
Dare to Dream
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

Vincent,
10pts because it's the correct answer....just not the one I need to hear...:(

~jdk
Dare to Dream
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Well, thanks for the points...

HP doesn't make a SCSI array anymore (other than JBOD), so you're out of luck on that one...

Another option might be an MA8000. They're pretty inexpensive, too. They are supported on 10.20, too.

Unfortunately, the MSA1000 isn't yet supported on HP-UX - it's our least-expensive array.

You could go for used/refirb equipmenet, such as a 12H or Nike array.

Anyway, good luck! Have a great weekend,

Vince
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

Vincent,
As your supplying options I'm supplying points.
I've been checking into the 12H, it's a definite candidate.
The Nike and the MA8000 are good options also, I'm still looking.

Thanks again for all your input!
Have a great weekend!

~jdk
Dare to Dream
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

As a note - the MA8000 is still a current product (I don't know when it'll be retired, but it won't be 3 years from now... if you get my drift). The 12H and Nike have been retired for years now.

Vince
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

Vincent,
Thanks again!
if I may vent for a second.....Sis is moving/migrating most all our oracle db's to a IBM 3270 mainframe. Backwards....Technologically speaking
Option one was to get rid of all the HP's. (if they only could). The second option was a consolidation of our G60, K200, K460 & T520 to the K460 minus a nice EMC symetrix. (That's where the RAID comes in)

We proved that option was not an option....to much scrunchin' goin' on!

The current plan gets the down to three , G60, K460, and the T520. All stuck at 10.20 with no support or support on the way out, no re-up.
Needless to say the movement of apps / Db's and disks is dizzing and disheartening, as I will be out of a job when I'm done, and my babies will be in Detroit.
Well, when one door closes another opens, I only hope it has an HP logo somewhere on the door.

Later, ~jdk

Dare to Dream
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

Just FWIW: this week we bought a brand new FC-10 disk array with (10) 73GB disks, a 5158a fiber card and all cables, for under $15k. The same vendor offered us a VA7100 loaded with (15) 73GB disks, a Brocade Silkworm 2800 switch, plus installation and other goodies, for less than $20k. Thats a terrabyte of data for $20k. If you want names/phone numbers, write me back here. I have a favorite vendor whom I call my 'junkyard dog'--a title they don't like but they'll do ANYTHING I ask 'em to. I bought IBM from them 10 years ago, Sun 6 years ago, and now I've been buying HP from them for the last 2 years.

Chris
TrustNo1
Regular Advisor

Hi Chris,
Sure,sounds too good to be true, but sure, put me in touch!
~jdk

Vincent,
The 12H looks promising, I'm checking on the MA8000, and I'm not sure where to start with the nike...any idea of the p/n or name?
~jdk
Dare to Dream