108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EMS monitors for VA7100 array

SOLVED
Go to solution
Carl Cloutier
Advisor

EMS monitors for VA7100 array

I have a VA7100 installed and I want to configure/confirm EMS event monitors for the array. I do not see any EMS monitor requests for the array when I check using monconfig and the "C" option. I also do not see any resource for the array when I attepmt to create event monitoring requests from the Resource Management -> Event Monitoring Service area of SAM. In fact, there are no monitors shown in the "Current Monitoring Requests" of this area.

So, my questions are:
1. should I be able to configure EMS monitoring requests for the array or does the array view EMS as a target to send event to by default?
2. Should I see all the monitoring requests in the "Current Monitoring Requests" area of SAM that are shown by monconfig?

Thank you for your replies,
Carl
When in doubt, gas it!
5 REPLIES 5
Andrew Merritt_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: EMS monitors for VA7100 array

Hi Carl,
What you see is correct. The EMS Hardware Monitors do not support the VA devices. See http://www.docs.hp.com/en/diag/ems/emd_disk.htm for the list, near the bottom of the page you'll see VA7100 listed as one of the non-supported devices.

I believe that the VA7100 has its own monitoring software, which I think can be integrated into ISEE.

Andrew
Carl Cloutier
Advisor

Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. That clears up much of my questions on the VA7100. There is a short comment in the va7100 manual stating that internal montoring will send events to EMS but there is no more information. There is no comment about ISEE but I have to believe that ISEE will get or detect events from the va7100. I will pursue that answer.

Relating to my second question, do you have any knowledge to answer it?

Thank you,
Carl
When in doubt, gas it!
Andrew Merritt_2
Honored Contributor

> Should I see all the monitoring requests in the "Current Monitoring Requests" area of SAM that are shown by monconfig?

No, they are showing different things; the monconfig output is showing the configuration of the Hardware Event monitors. These monitors report events when there is something happening with the hardware (e.g. disk failure, memory errors, temperature warnings).

The Current Monitoring Request screen in SAM is showing the current Resource Management configuration. This sends events when changes affecting the resources are noticed (e.g. available disk space less than a certain value, kernel resources reaching a certain level).

Both the Hardware Event Monitoring and the Resource Management use the EMS (Event Monitoring Service) to report the notification.

Andrew
Carl Cloutier
Advisor

Hi again,

OK, I understand now. The distinction is not very great in the manuals so I was confused.

Thank you,
Carl
When in doubt, gas it!
Carl Cloutier
Advisor

Thank you all for your replies.
When in doubt, gas it!