4455 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 3000

David Greenhow
Advisor

EVA 3000

Hi there

At present we have an EVA 3000 connected to 4 HP-UX boxes. Thinking 8 terrabytes was enough, it was decided that all data contained within would be set at vraid1. Now that we are close to the 90% occupancy level, we wish to change some of the vdisks raid levels, some to 1 and a couple to 0.

Please could someone tell me how this is acheived or even if it possible at all

Many thanks in advance

Dave
5 REPLIES 5
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Why not use Vraid5 instead, with Vraid0 you have no data protection at all. There is no (or VERY little) performance improvement with Vraid1 (compared to Vraid5), the main advantage with Vraid1 is slightly better security.

David Greenhow
Advisor

I do apologise, typo in the above question.

We wish to keep some data on vraid1, but change a lot of other vdisks to either raid 0 (patch areas) or vraid5. I would like to know how to change from one version of raid to another

Cheers
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No, it seems not be possible to change the Vraid level on the fly. Creating a new Vdisk, move the data and delete the old is one method. Backup data, delete Vdisk, recreate Vdisk, restore data is another.
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Hi, if you have (VCS 3.02X)snapshot licence installed, you can make snapclones with different VRAID level. Of course you would have to start with small ones because you are running low on space. So create an snapclone with diff. vraid level, present it to your host, since this is ux make shure your apps will work, and after everything is fine delete the original vdisk....and move on to the next one....no need to copy data....Make shure your system will be off line when making clone, so your data will be consistent...

BR
B.
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
David Greenhow
Advisor

Thanks for the help guys

Much apreciated as always