3325 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4000 expantion

Jacky Wing
Regular Advisor

EVA 4000 expantion

Hello,

I have an EVA4000 with 3 enclosures, I want to add an extra one enclosure. I think I will take the controllers enclosures up in the rack, introduce the new one, rewire the new enclosure, I will be doing this First Loop A and then Loop B.

1- Can this be done online?

2- Is this the right way to do it?

3- I have online data in the EVA. will this endanger my data? should I pay special attention to anything?

4- Any ideas or anybody that has any inputs can help. Anybody did the operation before?
8 REPLIES 8
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

First, the usual way to install 4 enclosures in a EVA4000 is 2 below and 2 above the controllers.

1) Yes
2) It can be also done offline, with zero risk.
3) As long as you don't disconnect cables on both loops at the same time, you should have no service interruptions.
4) I have not done it personally, but it's a procedure done every week on clients. Always check that loop A is working OK, check events in EVA log before touching loop B.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Just to echo the previous respondent... yes it can be done online. The most important thing to remember however is to ensure that you have a verified backup just in case anything does go wrong.

Cheers,

Rob

I think tou may have a good verified backup. I've experiment that and when i reconnect the first loop, the half of disks have one connection loop lost. A entire reboot of the EVA correct the issue. So, if you can, shutdown the EVA, extent the loop with the fourth shelf and restart all. You can also put soem disk from shelf 1, 2 and 3 in the new enclosure. If you do it when the EVA was shutdown, it's safe.
Lo├пc, from AntemetA, France
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

You find the recommended EVA layouts in the HW configuration guide on
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01217690/c01217690.pdf
EVA4000 starts at page37.
You usually have all 4 enclosures below the controlelrs.

I am also attaching an enclosure installation instruction for you.

Cheers
Pete
I love storage
Jacky Wing
Regular Advisor

Since we cannot shutdown the EVA for a long time, This is a Telco company, we have to minize the down time, so I cannot install the enclosure as 4 down and the enclosure up. However I will connect the cables as if it was like this, what do you think?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The phisical position of the enclosures is not important, just there's a standard order, so in every EVA controllers are in shelf 3 or 7.
The cabling should be done doing a loop, starting on one controller, from one shelf to the next and finally to the other controller.

So for example:
Loop A: C1 - E1 - E2 - E3 - E4 - C2
Loop B: C1 - E4 - E3 - E2 - E1 - C2

Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

The FC cabling is not that important it is the CAN Bus cabling! Especially if it comes to debugging.
On an EVA4x00 and 6x00 the controllers usually have CAN Bus ID 5 on 8x00 ID 7.

Cheers Peter
I love storage
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

The FC cabling is not that important it is the CAN Bus cabling! Especially if it comes to debugging.
On an EVA4x00 and 6x00 the controllers usually have CAN Bus ID 5 on 8x00 ID 7.
ID 7 must never be used for enclosures while ID 5 can!

Cheers Peter
I love storage