5288 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 4400 restart

Maxitaly_1
Advisor

EVA 4400 restart

Hi all

In http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1250173162027+28353475&threadId=1207556 I read:
"After you have shut down the EVA, turn the 'standby' power switches on both controllers to disable an automatic start."

Configuration:
- EVA4400
- controller 1 connected to UPS Load Segment 1
- controller 1 connected to UPS Load Segment 2
- single disk enclosure connected to UPS Load Segment 3

Steps:
- UPS goes in battery mode
- the UPS manager shutdown all the servers using EVA LUN
- the UPS manager issue (SSSU) a shutdown to EVA controllers
- the UPS manager switch off the 3 Load Segments
- (EVA disk enclosure powered off, Load Segment 3 not powered)
- (EVA controllers powered off - but standby switch not turned - Load Segment 1,2 not powered)
- external power comes back
- after a while UPS switch on the Load Segment 3 of the EVA disk enclosure
- after 10 minutes UPS switch on the Load Segment 1 of the first EVA controller
- after 30 seconds UPS switch on the Load Segment 2 of the second EVA controller
...the controllers restart ? Or I need to turn off and on the controller switch manually ?

Many thanks and best regards.
Max
3 REPLIES 3
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Those instructions were for an EVA4000. The EVA4400 is different. In the EVA4400 each controller do not have it's own power supply, there are two power supplies that feed both controllers.

The EVA will not power on once power is restored. You have to press power button on the controller enclosure.
Maxitaly_1
Advisor

Many thanks

So, there's no way to automatically startup EVA "from UPS" ?

Regards
Gary Gunderson
Occasional Advisor

I'm finding it hard to believe that HP does not provide a programmatic way to apply power to the EVA4400 controllers. The Web UI for the device is up and operational after power has been restore and considering that it is possible to issue a power down to the device, what's the technical issue here?

I know that this thread has been dead for a year but, could we get a more definitive statement from someone as to why you can't turn on the EVA4400 controllers through software?

Thanks

Gary