108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 5000 Leveling

SOLVED
Go to solution
Darren Parker
Occasional Advisor

EVA 5000 Leveling

After adding two additional shelves and 16 drives to an EVA 5000 2C10D, VCS 3.028, the EVA started leveling okay, but returned to 0% "Pending" after reaching 81% and has not started leveling again for two days. I started with 4 disks per shelf and added the rest of the drives one at a time every 3 or 4 minutes as they appeared in CV. One disk failed after the disks were grouped, so I removed it and replaced it the next day. About a week later, the replacement drive failed in the same enclosure/slot and was replaced and grouped. The replacement drive was still showing 0GB occupancy two days after being grouped, which coincides with the timeframe that leveling has been at 0%, so I ungrouped the disk again for now. Also, SnapClones are now staying at 0GB when created as well.

I have resync'd the controllers once before in the past per HP Support when a SnapClone would not delete, so I'm wondering if another resync now would jumpstart the leveling process.

The controller logs look clean and the second disk group in the EVA is 100% leveled. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Darren,

A resync of the controllers may well kick things into life...

Can you confirm that you have an even number of drives in the group. If you have Vraid1 disks in a group, and an odd number of disks, that can cause a disk to have a zero occupancy, as it has nothing to mirror with...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Darren Parker
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Rob. The Disk Group has 121 drives and there are Vraid 1 disks in the group, so I agree that it may be the lack of a disk for pairing. I'll try the resync one night this week as well.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Even a disk group with an odd number of disk drives and only filled with VRAID-1 virtual disk groups should finish with leveling. I agree that it looks like something got stuck within the controller firmware.

Before restarting the EVA, I would make sure a good backup exists -- just in case the situation gets worse...
Darren Parker
Occasional Advisor

FYI - Did a resync tonight and leveling is in progress again although very slow. Thanks for the help.