New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 6100 Problem with the Available Storage Capacity

SOLVED
Go to solution
FOBF
Frequent Advisor

EVA 6100 Problem with the Available Storage Capacity

Hello.

i have a EVA6100 and i created a new Disk Group with 16 FATA disk with Available Space almost 10 TB, but I have a doubt, the EVA allow me to create just:
2 TB vraid0
2 TB vraid1
2 TB vrair5

I do not undertand, why Can not i create vdisk the greater capacity if i have almost 10 TB in raw disk?
7 REPLIES 7
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

All the existing EVAs have a limit of 2 TB per logical unit. That's common to almost all the HP disk enclosures and controllers.

The reason is that most operating systems have that limitation anyway.
FOBF
Frequent Advisor

Thank vcespon for your anwser,

i am still confused, i know about these OS limitation, but i have another disk group and the space available is real for example:
I have 5 TB Available Space that mean the storage allow me to create a almost 5 TB for vraid0, 2.3 TB vraid1 and amost 4TB for vraid5, furthermore in that moment i am creating VDISK, i am not present to a server.
That i do not understand well, is why the storage only allow me 2 TB without mattering what king of vdisk i am gonna create, when in another disk group are present diferent, with the real space available.

Thank Again
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor
Solution

Command View shows the size of the biggest vdisk you can create, not the free space available.
Which, as you have more than 4 GB of RAW space, is 2 TB for all RAID levels.
FOBF
Frequent Advisor

He my friend

ok, i got it, you are right

Thanks
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It is about time that the Command View EVA programmer improves the output. This question comes up here on ITRC very often and I had the same discussion yesterday with a customer when I did a 'guided system modification' via remote login.

There even is an advisory, but those are not easy to find:

c01630212 - HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array (EVA) - Command View EVA vdisk Size Values

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01630212
jjflash
Advisor

This behavior must have been changed recently. I have a 4400 running 0952200 and CV 9.1 shows the total space available for each RAID level; not just the maximum lun size. see the attached image.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Not a surprise as an EVA 4400,6400,8400 with XCS V9.5 does support virtual disks larger than 2 TeraBytes (to a certain level - e.g. can't grow/shrink, ...).