New Discussion юеВ

EVA 8000 Strange Alarm...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vincon Daniele
Frequent Advisor

EVA 8000 Strange Alarm...

Hi .
I've strange problem with an EVA8000 XCS 6.00 configured with 7 Enclosure, 98 Disk on 3 disk group, see attached doc

Oracle Disk Group composed with 24 disk 146Gb
300GGroup composed with 36 disk 300Gb
FATAGroup composed with 38 disk 500Gb, (38 x 465,66 = 17695,08 - 465,66x4=1862,64 total capacity with double protection = 15832,44)

the FATAGroup 500Gb in on operational state Attention, with Alarm level exceeded
total occupancy is 28614,8 GB but the Capacity total of group are 15829.43 .
there is 8 VDISK, and
there isn't ungrouped disk or unmappable hardware.

where is the error ?????

thank's

Daniele
17 REPLIES 17
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA 8000 Strange Alarm...

Hi Daniele,

That does indeed look a little strange...

I'd probably start by rebooting the storage management server and see whether that corrects things.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Vincon Daniele
Frequent Advisor

That does indeed look a little strange...
I'd probably start by rebooting the storage management server and see whether that corrects things.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
Rob

Thank's Rob .. i have reboot storage more than one appliance but the alarm still active.

Bye
Vincon Daniele
Frequent Advisor

Thank's Rob .. i have reboot storage appliance more than one but the alarm still active.

Bye
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
The first thing you need to do is to follow the warning triangles. A top level screen capture is not much use I'm afraid!
Have you checked the occupancy alarm for the disk group? This will bring up a warning triangle and the alarm level exceeded warning.
If this is the problem, then easy to sort out [per disk group]:
1. change the alarm level to a higher number
[HP recommend that you set the occupany alarm level to 85%]
2. reduce you sparing capacity [if you have any?]
3. put more disks in the disk group
If this is not the problem then follow the warning triangles as far as they go and post another screen capture.
Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Vincon Daniele
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
The first thing you need to do is to follow the warning triangles. A top level screen capture is not much use I'm afraid!
Have you checked the occupancy alarm for the disk group? This will bring up a warning triangle and the alarm level exceeded warning.
If this is the problem, then easy to sort out [per disk group]:
1. change the alarm level to a higher number
[HP recommend that you set the occupany alarm level to 85%]
2. reduce you sparing capacity [if you have any?]
3. put more disks in the disk group
If this is not the problem then follow the warning triangles as far as they go and post another screen capture.
Mark...

Hi Mark ..
the attached doc have 2 pages.. in the second pages you can see the warning triangle , and the disk group configuration...

Thank

Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Sorry, if there are two pages on the attachment - then I can only see one... I have just checked three times - only one page there for me.
Did you check my suggestion anyway ??
Please post second page again.
Mark...
Vincon Daniele
Frequent Advisor

Hi,
Sorry, if there are two pages on the attachment - then I can only see one... I have just checked three times - only one page there for me.
Did you check my suggestion anyway ??
Please post second page again.
Mark...

..sorry.... not two pages.. but two screenshoot.. on second screenshot you can see the disk group with problem ..
FATAGroup, on this i've set double protection, but next week i try to reduce it to single.

Thank.

Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Two pages/two screenshots - either way, before I could only see one, today I can see two!
Checked your figures and screen capture and it would appear that for some reason the EVA seems to think it has more capacity than is available! - most strange & I have not seen this before, maybe somebody else has?? and they will reply.
28614/465=61-62 500gb drives which are not there, only 38 as you have stated, so it is certainly odd.
Anyway, as I said before, you could try altering the sparing level and / or the occupancy alarm. By doing this it will force the EVA/cmd vw to recalulate and maybe that will sort it out?

I would also ask the following questions:
When did this "problem" first appear?
Did you make any changes prior to this?
Have you upgraded EVA firmware recently ?? If so did you need to change / upgrade disk drive firmware as well ??? Did you do this ??
What version of cmd vw are you using? I can see from the capture that you are on at least V6.0 - maybe go to V6.0.2 as this is the most up to date patch [yes I know V7.0 is available but is not required for what you have and the licensing is interesting!]
Patch available from here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=3185481тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodClassId=-1&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=471497

You may need to restart both controllers to clear this up, but obviously, this may not be possible now or in the near future.

You could try my suggestions or you may wish to contact HP direct for additional help if you have a service contract?

Mark...

Vincon Daniele
Frequent Advisor

I would also ask the following questions:
When did this "problem" first appear?
Did you make any changes prior to this?
Have you upgraded EVA firmware recently ?? If so did you need to change / upgrade disk drive firmware as well ??? Did you do this ??
What version of cmd vw are you using? I can see from the capture that you are on at least V6.0 - maybe go to V6.0.2 as this is the most up to date patch [yes I know V7.0 is available but is not required for what you have and the licensing is interesting!]

You may need to restart both controllers to clear this up, but obviously, this may not be possible now or in the near future.

Hi

The command view is 6.0.2, the problem appear last week, but there is no change on storage, i've update hd firmware on installation and startup 5 months ago.
I know the new xcs 6100 is out but i've no schedule for update.

Last choice is to restart the controller and pray!!!!!

thank's