New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 8100 adding new disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

EVA 8100 adding new disk

Hi,

i have to install new 16 , 300GB HDD in EVA 8100.
where all previous HDD is 146 GB. now my plan is after install new 16 hdd i will make new disk gruop with 16 hdd. then i have to copy all data from existing diskgroup to new disk group.
could anybody halp me how can do it.

Regards/Morshed.
30 REPLIES 30
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You don't need to create a new disk group.

Once you have all the disks inserted into the enclosures...

1. add all the disks to the existing disk group.

2. Wait for the leveling to complete. (This wil spread out all the data to ALL of the disks in the group)

3. Remove the 146GB disks, one at a time from the disk group.

4. Reuse the 146GB disks for something else.

5. Go home happy cause you saved yourself a lot of time.

6. Make sure you back up your data first.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

Steven's solution seems a good and clever one. The point here you should be aware that the space allocated for protection will be more, assuming you are using single protection level and dont change it, now your EVA is allocating 2x137GB approx space and will allocate 2x279GB as soon as you add 300 GB drives to the group. if your Vdisks are occupying more than 14x279GB in total than you will not be able to ungroup all of your 146GB drives.
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

Hi steven,

thanks for your reply.

but customers requirements is i have to create new disk group and it will be RAID 1+0. after that i have to copy data from existing diskgroup to new diskgroup as customer wants to separate DB and application into two separate group. please help me as described.

Regards,
Morshed.
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

you bring new info to the table but still the solution is the same. actually raid state has nothing to do with the disk group. it is selected when a Vdisk was being created.

are your Vdisks RAID5, do you want to convert these to VR1?

if so you have two optons, obtain a temp BC licence if CU dont have, and after adding the 300GB drives (to the same or new group, makes no sense at that point, new group may be easier) shutdown the Database, create a snapclone with new raid level you want, after snapcloneing started, unpresent all VR5 drives and present new VR1 drives with exactly same LUN numbers,

you can need some operations on the os side also, to tell the os that disks are changed, but data didnot.

after the disk cloneing has finished you can split the clone and delete the VR5 ones, at that point you can delete the 146 GB if you did not create new DG, and when deletion finished, you can create a new DG with 146GB drives for application or what
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

and I forgot the second option :)

it can be done within the OS side.

you create new DG with 300GB drives and VR1 LUNs as of CU request, then present them to the hosts, at that point OS of your host is the question. if it is HPUX, then you can extend the Volume Groups with new disks, move all the data to the new disks with simple pvmove command and reduce the old disks and unpresent them. if not HPUX, say windows then you need to copy them or backup and restore.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Go back to your customer and ask them why they want to have the 16 new drives in a new disk group.

If the customer is talking about RAID 1+0 then they probably don't understand how the EVA works.

You don't mention the existing configuration, however as it's an EVA8100 I'll assume that the Disk Group with the 146GB disks has more than 16 disks. If so, then moving to a group with only 16 disks could actually reduce performance...

Regards,

Rob
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

hi ,

thanks all.

right now the have two disk group. one they r using for backup copy another one for DB and application.

now they want to make another diskgroup separate db from application means new diskgroup for application.

then they will copy all data from existing diskgroup to new diskgroup ( DB and APP) for test.
os is HP-UX 11iv1.so i have to create mount point for nw disk group.

if ok .then they will separate db and app.

this is cluster environment.

now advice.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Can you advise how many disks are in the existing disk groups ?

Regards,
Rob
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

sorry.

there are one disk group with 56 disk and two vdisk. 246 GB each HDD.