108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA 8100 adding new disk

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bulent ILIMAN
Trusted Contributor

It is clear that the 56 disk group will perform better than a 16 disk group whatever disks in the disk group will have small effect.

If I were you or your Customer, I would use 56x146GB disks for DB, having high R/W performance, and 16x300GB group for Application.

Or in best solution buy some more 300GB disks ;)

mrmo07
Regular Advisor

hi !

is there any firmware issue if i like to install new 300 gb hardisk ??
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

What version of XCS are you at now?

300GB disk support was added early on so you probably won't have any issues. (Especially since you have a 3rd generation EVA)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

Hi,

storage system:
type:HSV210
Version:6110
software:CR0ECAxcsp-6110

current Disk drive:
firmware version:HP02

plz advise.

Rgds/Morshed.
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

Hi,

from new 30 HDD. 8 disk firmware is HP00 and rest of all HP02.

should i update all hp00 to hp02??

and what about controller.

Regards/Morshed.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

There is not a single firmware image for a disk drive models in an EVA.

It is possible that those are different drive models which require different firmware levels.

Best way is to get the current disk drive firmware bundle and let CV-EVA figure out which image to load into which disk drive:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3351789&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3302267&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

hi,

should i make all disk drive firmware level same? or i can continue with the diff firmware version and is it ok if i continue with controller firmware xcs 6110? and cv 8 ?

Regards,
Morshed.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

It is possible that there are different disk drive models in the EVA, even for the same size/rotational speed (e.g. 300GB/15kRPM).

In many cases you CANNOT "make all disk drive firmware level same", because the drives are different.

Just let CV-EVA do the job for you by giving it the complete firmware bundle.
mrmo07
Regular Advisor

Hi Uwe Zessin ,

what is the effect of complete firmware bundle?

i m almost new to EVA. please let me know details.

Regards/Morshed.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The firmware bundle is a .ZIP file that contains individual firmware images for all disk drives for which an update is available. You hand it over to CV-EVA and CV checks which disk drive models are in the EVA and applies the correct firmware image to one disk drive at a time.

CV-EVA skips disk drives if their firmware is current and it does them one by one so that the failure of a drive does not result in data loss (provided that no VRAID-0 data exists). Well, you're using CV V8, which gives a warning, but does not allow an upgrade in that situation.

The upgrade of a single drive takes about 30 seconds. You can easily calculate how long a larger EVA takes if all disk drives need an update.

Now, imagine how long it would take if you did that manually!!