4502 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA Business Copy

Rocky_8
Regular Advisor

EVA Business Copy

Hello,

We are looking at iplementing BC2.2 for the EVA5000.
I have read some reference on the subject.
I am very curious to know how for instance the database appliaction on an application server will be quiesed (temporaraly frozen when creating the BCV).
Is the function of the Enhanced mode agent ?
Is this doen by propriatary scripting, vb script for exchange for instance ?

Thanks,

R. Makkinje
8 REPLIES 8
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: EVA Business Copy

I am not AWARE of any database agents within BC. There is a (as I recall) LAUNCH command that will initiate a user-specified script on a specified host. You would put the command(s) to quiesce the database(s) in there. Then the LAUNCH command would be in the BC script before the SNAP command(s).

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Curtis Wheatley_2
Occasional Advisor

In Oracle you must create a script that put's the tables space's into online backup mode. This will start the generation of archive logs within Oracle. After the snap's are complete you bring the table out of archive log mode and the redo's will be applied. On the snap'ed copy of luns you will need to generate Oracle scripts that will change the db name to something other than the original. An example would be

tnsnames entry ->ORAPROD-> original copy
tnsnames entyr ->ORARPT-> snaped copy name

An additional step is needed to bring the snap'ed copy up to date. The new db Instance will be looking for logs to apply when it comes up after the rename. You must bring the logs over from the original copy and rename then to match the snap'ed copy. Once this is complete Oracle can apply the logs it needs and your good to go.

I configured this on a eva3000 with BC and we are creating a nightly RPT-reports copy of our PROD db. The eva lun cloning has been automated with SSSU scripting. It works very well, A DBA will need to be involved for the DB side of this work. It works really well. I'll check back if you have some follow up ?'s.

Regards,
Curtis
Skilled workers are always in need
Rocky_8
Regular Advisor

Curtis,

Thanks for the reply and sorry it took so long for me get back on it (holidays etc).
That was basically the answer i was looking for, altough not specifically for oracle.
My job requires me to install SAN's & Enterprise Virtual Arrays among other things.
I was looking into the BC suite, and it seemed too simple to setup.
I was already wondering how the applications could be put in a consistent state for the *SNAP* ,or what ever form of Business Copy, to be made.
Your answer implies that the scripting is propritairy to the application that is to be put in backup mode ?
Meaning the scripting command are oracle specific commands ?
This would explain the need for a DB admin to get the job done.
The SSSU interface is then used to automate the creattion of the BC, after the Host Based BC Agent has called the application specific script ?

Hope i'm getting this right, this clarifies a lot i think.

Regards,

Rocky
Hein van den Heuvel
Honored Contributor

>> The SSSU interface is then used to automate the creattion of the BC, after the Host Based BC Agent has called the application specific script ?

Yes. The EVA can not ask the host to 'create a quiet point now'. If you tell an EVA to 'snap' then it will do just that: create a clone at that instant, queiet or not.

A host based scripts however could create a quiet point, call and EVA script to create a snap, and release the application for further work.

fwiw,
Hein.

Rocky_8
Regular Advisor

Thanks Hein, dank je wel ;-)

I was was already wondering how this went along.
So the order off business is an application specific script, lets say an oracle script, created the quiescing point and this same script calles the SSSU scipt ?
All of which is facilitated by the BC host agent ?

rgds,

Rocky Makkinje
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Rocky,
if you schedule a BC job through the SMA, then the BC server can tell the BC HA on the host to run an application specific script. Next it is the BC server that initiates the SNAP according to the BC job's definitions - you don't need to write a script on your own. And the BC server will tell the BC HA on the backup server to mount the SNAP.
Rocky_8
Regular Advisor

Uwe,

How are the application databases brought into a state of consistency ?
Surely the bc ha agent must call upon a scipt that is in the native language of the application ?
I know the bc enhanced mode gui can schedule jobs etc withouth scripting (select & click)

thanks
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Well, it completely depends on the application / database. For Oracle I think it is something like.
> ALTER TABLESPACE tbs BEGIN BACKUP;

You have to find out for your particular set of apps. If the app/db does not have an interface, then you even have to shut it down before you take the SNAP!