1748284 Members
3515 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA Disc Size

Nunney
Occasional Advisor

EVA Disc Size

Can I replace different size discs in an EVA8000 ie at present I have 250GB but I want to put in a 300GB (Only because I don't have a 250GB spare as it's failed)
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You can put disk drives of different sizes in a disk group, but:

- you might not get the full capacity from a larger disk drive

- the so-called "protection level" uses the size of the largest disk drive in the disk group to calculate the space set aside for recovery from disk drive failures

- a (pair of) larger disks drives in a disk group can hold more data and thus draw more I/Os that a smaller disk drive

- you cannot mix disk drives of different technology (FC/FATA) in a single disk group
-- the 250GB is most likely a FATA disk drive and
-- the 300GB is most likely a FC disk drive
Nunney
Occasional Advisor

Ok,if I replace a 250Gb FATA with a 500Gb FATA & the sparring is set to 1.the oringinal space set a side would have been 2X250GB = 500GB. Now I've put in a 500GB I've created 1TB of "Spare" capacity for arguments sake.I know the EVA load balences on certain events, disc's swaps being one of them.So depending on the size of the disc/volume group will the EVA be able to accomodate the larger volume whether FATA or FC. Also if I'm using mirrored EVA's for data replication/DR I assuming I would have to replace the mirror on the DR EVA as well?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

CA-EVA does not care about physical disk drive sizes. You can replicate a virtual disk located in a disk group with 500GB FATA disk drives to another EVA's virtual disk located in a disk group with 72GB FC disk drives.
Nunney
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help, thats that cleared up.
YAQUB_1
Respected Contributor

Hi Rocom,

If U gets Ur answer then pls assign points....

Rgds--Yaqub