Disk Enclosures
1748211 Members
4626 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

EVA Noob-need to add 4 drives to 4 HP 4400 shelves and add to existing disk group.

Steve  Whitmore
Occasional Contributor

EVA Noob-need to add 4 drives to 4 HP 4400 shelves and add to existing disk group.

Hello, I am new to storage management and need some assistance with adding 4 new 600GB drives to our EVA that consists of 4 HP 4400 shelves, each with one free drive slot.  I understand how to physically add the 4 new drives and get them in the storage group I want (which is already all 600GB drives), but after that I am not sure what I need to do to create a new LUN of the additional storage and present that new LUN to the ESX hosts.  We are running a C7000 enclosure with ESX on the blades.  Any help would be much appreciated.

This thread has been moved from HP StoreVirtual / HP LeftHand Storage  to Disk Array

1 REPLY 1
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA Noob-need to add 4 drives to 4 HP 4400 shelves and add to existing disk group.

Hi!

Command View User Guide is a good start.

You need to create a vdisk and then present the vdisk to the ESX hosts. You probably want to make sure vdisk is owned by the "right" controller. Usually you'd like to spread the ownership of the vdisks between the controllers better load/performance. After vdisk is created you present it to the hosts. If the hosts already have EVA vdisks presented to them you don't need to do zoning or things like that. Some VMWare setup is needed after this, adding the LUN to the data store for example.