New Discussion юеВ

EVA Replication

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sajeev2007
Frequent Advisor

EVA Replication

Hi All,

I have EVA1 and EVA2. EVA1 has RAID5, 1 and 0. If I need to replicate EVA1 to EVA2, what do I do ? Do i need to have the same RAID5 on EVA2 ? or can i replicate RAID5 luns to RAID1 or 0. thanks,
Sajeev
7 REPLIES 7
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: EVA Replication

You need licenses for Continuous Access. Then, you need the Replication Solutions Manager software used to manage replication.

You can replicate between storages using different destination VDISK Level, for example, source RAID 1 and destination RAID 5.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Sajeev2007
Frequent Advisor

Ok, so i can use CA to replicate between different kinds of RAIDS. can I use Veritas Volume Replicator ? Are there any manuals on how to work with CA ?

thanks
Sajeev2007
Frequent Advisor

I have Exchange databases, Oracle, on EVA1 with RAID5. I need to replicate them to EVA2 all on RAID 1 so i can shut down EVA2, move it to another location , power it on , replicate all the most recent changes over WAN from EVA1, then power off EVA1.
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Hey Sanjeev,

If your plans are not to run the CA for long run (continously, as a DR solution) then it's not good solution to run with CA. Use any kind of mirroring software (as you mention about Veritas) to migrate the data.

Sajeev2007
Frequent Advisor

why do you say its not good for short term use ?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Good question. I can't point you to a document right now, but I am fairly sure CA was also sold as a means to transfer data.

I have used it in the past to easily relocate data between EVAs.

It might not be a good idea as you have to spend quite some money for a one-time action and a host-based solution could be cheaper except if you can get CA as a loaner.
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

A quote from HP will kill you on this. Basically you need 2 times of total capacity to migrate the data. CA licenses are damn costly. Probably with 1/5th of its cost you will be able to get other software services.

No harm trying to approach HP sales for this.