New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA Upgrade

SOLVED
Go to solution
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Hi Peter,

I very much agree with you choice of option but what I was looking like what happens if the backplance fails in an enclosure which is very rare or multi-disk failure (meltdown) brings down the full enclosure. I also checked the current RSS state is set to mirror and we already got Vdisk1 and Vdisk5 in a single disk group.
As per Mr. Uwe RSS only support Vdisk1 in mirror state and I also used EVA sizer in which when I feed in my existing details and I see RSS dont support. But as soon as I make it to 2C12D the mix Vdisk works.

Any suggestion on this as our EVA3000 is currently in production so that I cannot test failing of one enclosure :) or else I would be the first one to test.

Uwe, I also tried looking to the help menu of EVA still failed to get the piece of information which you have provided. I would appreciate if you help me in getting that part of information in some kind of doc.

I have also attached the screen shot of EVA sizer tool.

BR

Bala
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Uwe,

If I further look more into details of RSS for 29 nos of disk, RSS member will be created as 8+8+8+5 or 8+8+6+7 ? which one is supported or will it work in real scenario.

Tnx

Bala
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Bala:

I believe you will NEVER have an RSS group of 5 disks. RSS strives to be at 8 disks, but depending on the amount of disks you actually have, you can have 6 to 11 disks in 1 RSS.

It is likely that you will have.. 8 + 8 + 7 + 6.

The way it works out is... the RSS starts out at 6 disks and will expand up to 11. Once it hits 12, it splits into 2 groups of 6. When you add more disks, the first group of 6 will increase to 8 disks, then the second group will increase to 8, then if you add more, the last groupd will increase to 11 again and start the process over. (all assuming you adding 1 or 2 disks at a time).

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Hi Everybody, Thank you for everyones replies and suggestions. I got lots of answers whatever I wanted.
Thank you guys!!

BR
Bala
Balakrishna Kotian
Frequent Advisor

Upgrading to EVA 6000 from EVA3000 ;-)