New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA./Windows proper vdisk presentation process

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nicole Angelis
Occasional Advisor

EVA./Windows proper vdisk presentation process

Hi admins,

What is the correct process to present vdisks to windows hosts and have the OS recognize the vdisks without rebooting? I can get the disk manager to recognize the vdisk and I can format it, but the disk is unuseable until I reboot the system. Is that a limitation with the OS's volume manager? The servers are running Windows 2000.

One more question on vdisks. Can Windows 2000 hosts take advantage of online volume growth without a volume manager like Vertias VM? I mean if you have a 20GB vdisk with an NTFS file system, and you increase the size of the vdisk to 50GB can the OS use the additional 30GB without needing any additional software to extend the partition and file system? If this cannot be done in Windows 2000 Server, does Windows 2003 Server EE have such capabilities?

Thank you for your help/suggestions.

-Nicole

10 REPLIES 10
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Nicole,

A reboot it normally not needed. I assume you have a redundant configuration (2 HBAs, 2 switches, securepath 4.0c). After creating the Vdisk, you present it to the host (make sure the WWNs for both HBAs are entered for the Host in command view). Then you run a Rescan disks under Disk Management, and you should be able to use the disk. Make sure all paths are available before writing signatures or formatting. (use either SecurePath Manager, or spmgr display on the command line) I've heard of performance difficulties if you use a quick-format on an EVA Vdisk.

To expand under Win2K or Win2K3, you can either use Dynamic disks (but not if you have a cluster), or use Micorosoft's diskpart utility to expand partitions on Basic disks. Diskpart is included in Win2K3, it's a seperate download for Win2K. I think it's in the resource Kit, or you can just search Technet for it.

Regards,
Stephen
Randy Weis
Frequent Advisor

Don't forget, you should not do anything like this in a Terminal Session. If you do this from a console session, everything will be seen by the OS dynamically, without a reboot. If you do anything storage-related via Term Svc, you will have to do a reboot.
Another little quirk of Windows!
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. Oscar Wilde.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Diskpart Info...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325590

and (for Clusters)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304736

Works in both Windows 2000 and 2003.

Keep in mind that you usually can not extend a partition if it is the system/boot partition.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Nicole Angelis
Occasional Advisor

THank you all, the solution was Secure Path and Diskpart. Thanks!
Cyriac George

Hi All,
I have a related question.
I have a Cluster Servr that uses the drives
on EVA 3K. What would be the procedure to
extend the diskspace onclustered Drives with out loosing Data on them?
Is it Extend the VDisk on EVA and use Diskpart tool? Do I need to unpresent the Disks while doing that? Any documentation that explains the complete process would be the best. We are using Win 2000

Thanks
C George
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"I have a related question." - It is best to post a new thread instead of using a pre-existing one. Doing this allows youto comment and award points and even close the thread when your all done.

"I have a Cluster Servr that uses the drives on EVA 3K. What would be the procedure to extend the diskspace on clustered Drives with out loosing Data on them?" - The procedure is how you stated. Expand the vdisk first, then confirm in Disk Management, then use diskpart to extend within windows.

You do not need to unpresent the vdisk. Doing so would not be fruitful as you will not have access to it to extend afterwards. If you follow the steps in the second link, that should be all, or most, of the documentation that you need.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304736

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Randy Weis
Frequent Advisor

Please do assign points! This encourages us to answer questions.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. Oscar Wilde.
Cyriac George

Thanks for the reply

I apologize.
I am new to this forum
How do I award points?
Also Is any one aware of documentation
on HP website regarding extension of
disk space for Cluster Server?

Thanks
Cyriac George
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You can't award points unless you own a thread - only Nicole can do it in this thread.

That's why Steven has asked you to open a new one to handle your own questions.