New Discussion юеВ

EVA built-in management module

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

EVA built-in management module

Hi,

Can anbody tell me what functionality is currently supported on the built-in EVA management module. E.g. LUN management, CA management.....?

Or can it run a full version of Command View yet?

I have a project that want 2 x Command View EVA physical servers for redundancy (in case one melts...) I am trying to decide if the EVA management module is good enough for basic array management while the Command View EVA server is down. If the management module is good enough then we can install 1 x Command View server and use the management module while the CV is being replaced.

Many thanks for any help.
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
8 REPLIES 8
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA built-in management module

Hello,

you can install an array-based version of CV only on the management module of the EVA4400. This doesn't work for EVA6x00 oder 8x00. The functionality is the same. From my point of view: I wouldn't install CV on the management module.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

Thanks for the reply Patrick.

The kit is EVA4400's.

Do you have any reasons for not installing the array based CV on the management module?

Can I also just double check. Did you say that the array based CV has the same functionality as normal CV on a separate server?

Many thanks
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Nigel,

I wouldn't install it. There was a lot of trouble with it and HP doesn't include this feature in the 6400 and 8400 because of this. It's still supported on the 4400.

There is only one thing, that you can't do with an embedded version of CV: Manage more then one EVA. You can only manage the EVA on which it's installed.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

Thanks again atrick. Hopefully last question.....

When ou say that HP still support it for the EVA4400 are saying that they are not developping it any further, and have no plans on improving it in the future or adding support to other models?

Thanks
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello Nigel,

I don't know if HP won't developping it any further. I think it's designating that HP hadn't add this feature to the EVA6400 and 8400. Maybe HP will use it only in the entry-level EVAs.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The EVA-4400 management module (WOCP) cannot do CA management (CV-EVA must have access to both EVAs). It also cannot do disk drive firmware updates and some service options are not available.

So, it's OK to look after some easy things and make same simple changes, but it is not sufficient as a complete replacement for a management server.
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

mmhh... CA doesn't work with it? That's new to me, I've never tried it. :) I played some time in a lab with a EVA4400 with embedded CV.

Thanks for clarification Uwe.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

"There is only one thing, that you can't do with an embedded version of CV: Manage more then one EVA. You can only manage the EVA on which it's installed.
"

Additionaly, you can't install any of the other traditional software you would have for manageing your EVA('s) and other SAN devices. (SAN Switch Management Software, HBA Management Software, RSM Software, ISEE/RSEE, etc). It only runs ABM-CV.

The manage module is a good back door, and in a pinch... is useful when you are having problems with your physical CV box... but that is about all it is good for.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)