New Discussion

Re: EVA storage problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
manuj kumar
Frequent Advisor

EVA storage problem

i was having a problem with EVA initialization

"1- before installing the CV license i initialized the storage from the command view. it shows arround 800GB out of 8*146GB disks.
2- i got the license for 1TB and i installed it. but the same size shown 800GB
3- i uninitialized the storage from the command view.
4- i tried to initialize again i face a problem with error message --> initialization failed no available space for initialization."

, The problem now escalated.
Now i cannot access the storage via the CV Eva.
It gives me this error.

Command View EVA has detected this array as inoperative. contact hp...

i can see the storage WWN. but i cannot access the array for initialization.

please advice
11 REPLIES 11
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Not sure on the initialisation error, however 8 x 146GB drives will only give you usable space of around 835GB when using single sparing.

Cheers,

Rob
manuj kumar
Frequent Advisor

Now I succeeded to manage the storage via CV. I initialized the system with a new name EVA-NEW but CV gave me error that it is already initialized.

After that system name changed to a long name â not the WWNâ . When I am trying to navigate through this system name it giving me â Operation Invalidâ .

Please advice.

Víctor Cespón
Honored Contributor

From your other threads I understand that one M6412 enclosure was used on another EVA and then it was moved without deletting anything to this EVA.

The disks contain metadata for the other EVA, when you plug it into an existing initialized EVA, it gets confused finding metadata for two different storage systems.

Connect ONLY the new box to the EVA controllers, delete everything.
manuj kumar
Frequent Advisor

i only connected 8 disks. i never changed them.
if i changed the harddisks locations it will affect?
the problem still occure
when accessing CV it shows a very strange system name. when i click in this name.
it give me
operation failed!
invalid operation.

what that means ?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The configuration for an EVA is held on the disks.

If some of them have been moved from another EVA then you can get strange errors, including odd names coming up on the OCP.

Assuming that there's no data on the disks that you need to keep, you will probably have to uninitialise from the front panel.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
manuj kumar
Frequent Advisor

yes i don't have any data. i just want to uninitialize the disks.
can you please give more more details on how phisicaly i can uninitialize the disks from the disk enclosure itself?
is there any reset switch allows me to do that?
thanks alot
manuj kumar
Frequent Advisor

EVA4400 doesn't contain any navigation pannel that allow me to uninitialize the storage.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Right - you have to do that through the management module, also called the WOCP - Web-based Operator Control Panel.
manuj kumar
Frequent Advisor

use this tool
https://192.168.0.1:2372
it successfully toke the management from the CV EVA which installed in the management server.
but it gave me error.
"Internal Management System Error
your storage system experienced an internal error that is preventing it from properly communicating with its management module "
i Cannot see any indicator leds that tell any hardware problem.

please advice