1748000 Members
4773 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA used space doesn't match reality

Patti T
Advisor

EVA used space doesn't match reality

We have a new EVA6100 running XCS 6.110 and CV 7.00.01. I was trying to reconcile my drive space requests to what was allocated on the EVA, and it doesn't match. The used space that CV says is about 700GB off.

I have always been able to make a spreadsheet of the drives we created and then calculate the actual space consumed for the RAID level by multiplying either by 1.25 for RAID5 or 2 for RAID1. This has worked for the other 12 EVAs that we own. The numbers always come in within 20-50GB of what CV shows.

but for this diskgroup, the total capacity is 8034.45GB, the used capacity is 7619.22GB, but the available space to create a RAID0 is 1130. From my calculations, my total used is 6861, which is close to what I would get if I subtracted the space available for a RAID0 (1130) from the total capacity (8034).

There are 63 146GB drives in the group with double sparing.

The other disk group on this EVA adds up correctly, as does all of the rest of my EVAs.

Has anyone else seen this?

Some things we tried:
We restarted CV - actually we upgraded to the latest thinking that must be the problem.
We created a new vdisk to use up some of the space and it started complaining about the alarm levels and started rebuilding the disk group. We dropped the spares from double down to single to give it room to level.

Thanks,

Patti
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Patti,

There have been a few other posts recently about problems with space misreporting.

Apparently they can be resolved by a resync of the controllers, which can be done by a field service engineer.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob

Maybe you use CA replication ? When you use asynchronous mode, the reserved space is very important (the size of the DR in Raid 1).
Lo├Г┬пc
Lo├пc, from AntemetA, France
Patti T
Advisor

I didn't see the other postings... hard to know what to search on to get a "hit."

Was this a recent thing with XCS 6.110 or just something random that happens?

We will try the resync.

Thanks,
Patti T
Advisor

The resync cleared things up and now my storage adds up again!

Thanks!
Jayesh Bhakta

Hi Patti,

I am seeing similar problem on all my EVA systems. What do you mean you resync controller to correct storage capacity reporting in command view EVA?
Please send me instruction....What you did to correct.

Thanks,
Jayesh
jbhakta@informatica.com
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

It's not public information
There's a hidden service page on Command View from where an HP engineer can get logs, enable certain functions or send commands to the controllers.
One of them is the resync command. Call HP and they will have no objections to send someone to do it.