3387 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA

Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

EVA

I am accessing command view eva through remote desktop connection
remote dektop then ip address + passward i am giving then i am getting connection this eva is installed one of our windows server.
my question how these windows server physically connected all other servers
i mean portal is there
unix servers are there etc..
i want to know physcail connection only
althese are we are accessing through remoted desktop and doing job there
i don;t know what was the physical connection
with these windows server(where eva is installed) and ohter servers
( i mean cable connection then setup etc..+ installation of eva)
let me get brief description about these
8 REPLIES 8
Davis Paul
Valued Contributor

Hi sajjad,
There is no physical connection mandatory to all servers from command view EVA. Command view EVA is only for managing your EVA. If your command view EVA server is down also, your EVA will do the normal work properly.
Davis.
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

my question is eva installed in one of our windows server and these windows server connected to other servers how is it?
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

dear davia
u are adding new hosts in eva

how u can add these through eva if that host is not connected physically where eva is installed, in my case it is installed in windows server, and other hosts are connected to this windows server
i don't know cabling of these one and how to set up these
sajjad
Davis Paul
Valued Contributor

Hi Sajjad,
How are your connections?
Is it via san switch?
How is your command view EVA server connected to EVA ?
Sajjad Sahir
Honored Contributor

through san
I am accessing eva thorugh frowm windows server
Davis Paul
Valued Contributor

Sajjad,
Your EVA, command view EVA server(sma) and all other hosts are connected to the SAN switch. All are communicating through this san switch. You can add host to your eva not to the command view eva server. "edited to comply with ITRC guidelines"
Davis Paul

Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello sajjad,

an EVA is a "Enterprise Virtual Array". This is a (sometimes) huge rack, with many many disk drives, in a data center which is attached a storage area network. The EVA is managed with a software called Command View. CV is running on a server in you network. This server is also connected to you storage area network. All hosts, that want's to access the EVA must be attached to the SAN. The SAN (storage area network) is independent from you normal computer network. It's build with special switches and a special protocol called Fibre-Channel. The physical connection from a server to the EVA shows like this:

Server---fiber optic cable---fibre channel switch---fiber optic cable---EVA

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
all hosts have the HBA FC SAN connection via the existing FC SAN fabric
there are 3 types of the hosts
a) CommandView EVA (CVE) hosts (dedicated Storage management appliances (SMA) in the past) which is used to the EVA management (HOSTS, LUNs creation, presentation), there can be several CVE management hosts (currently not dedicated only to the EVA management), but only one can be active at a time.
b) other hosts like DB (SAP, Oracle, ...) or Aplication hosts (Multiplatform), which are using the EVA as a storage which they have a local FC/SATA disks in a no single point of failure place.
c) NAS hosts, which will use (near future) the EVA via IP as a NAS storage with the build in clustered file heads/datamovers. This is also multiplatformed.
the pain is one part of the reality