108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA3000 Expand Disk Capacity

SOLVED
Go to solution
tahir123
Advisor

EVA3000 Expand Disk Capacity

hi, i have EVA3000 with 2 enclosure 24 x 146 HDD, i have another 2 x 146Gb HDD i am new to EVA please can someone help me step by step who to introduce new disks to existing disk group and expand the virtual disk capacity.
20 REPLIES 20
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
according to the performance best practices the rule is the more disks in a disk group, the better performance (more spindles)
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA1-5215ENW.pdf
The vdisk online capacity expansion is available (e.g. the diskpart/windows, vgmodify/HP-UX 11iv2 with PHCO_35524, 11iv3 (see this ITRC article pls http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1240431)
the pain is one part of the reality
Mustafa Gulercan
Respected Contributor

hi tahir,
first of all 2 more disks is not sufficiant for best performance.
Because of RSS structure, HP recommends 8 and multiple of 8 disks for extending disk group.
And for extending virtual disk;
1- At EVA: Add the disks to the disk groups.
Create another virtual disk existing.
2- At node: backup your data.
vgextend your volume group.If you have OnlineJFS license thereis no need to deactive vgs'.
If you have a cluster system you need to deactive slave node vg's.

regards,
mustafa
tahir123
Advisor

hi guys you are right for performance purpose i should add minimum 8 disk actually we have orders for one enclosure with 14 x 146 Gb disk that will take some how 2 weeks to receive as we are running out of space we just want to extend our space to existing VDisk to save the data for two week until we receive the products that we are expecting withen 2 weeks.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

1. Install one new disk in the lower enclosure.
2. Wait until the new disk is visible in Command View EVA, in Ungrouped Disks.
3. Install the second new disk in the upper enclosure.
4. Wait until the new disk is visible in Command View EVA, in Ungrouped Disks.
5. Navigate to the top level of your Disk Group, and click on the Add Disks button.
6. Select 2 from the number of disks to add.
7. Wait for the levelling process to finish.
8. You should now have extra space in the disk group to do whatever you want with.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
tahir123
Advisor

Thanks Rob please can you explain me which area can be affected and if possibel please can you send me screen shot for adding the disk is it again i have to resize the Vdisk or space will be automatically extend to existing virtual disk.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You might notice a slight performance degredation whilst the levelling process is under way, but it shouldn't be too great.

When levelling is complete, you will see the additional space as available space in the disk group.

You can then use that space to extend the size of a Vdisk, by selecting a Vdisk and entering a new size. You will then need to follow procedures to get your OS to see the new size, which is obviously dependant on the OS.

I haven't got any screenshots, however you should find instructions in the Command View EVA user guide.

Cheers,

Rob
tahir123
Advisor

Hi, Rob
is it we have to check the hdd firmware version or upgrade any firmware when i am resizing the partition. is it possibel it can destroy the existing data actually we are running mission critical application this is the reason i want to go for only safe steps

you help is really appriciated
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi, the latest supported controller firmware is 3110 (if you have 3025 or 3028, it can be upgraded online with the HDD firmware bundle also online (without the stopping the IO). (Full backup before it, should be done shortly before it for the safety reasons)
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi, one additional comment, it is always good to add the disks in number of 8, because of so called RSS internal architecture works with 8 physical disks in the whole disk group by default....