108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA3000 Expand Disk Capacity

SOLVED
Go to solution
tahir123
Advisor

Hi, do you mean that regards to RSS if i have added 2 harddrive i am going to have problem ?

second regarding the performance issue who many % performance will be decrease after adding 2 hdd ?

third who i will do update controller firmware with HDD bundle ?

please explain me more.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
1. there will be no perf degradation after the 2 new disks, only the RSS algorithm will add them to the existing RSSs, (2 of them could have 9 members or one 10 members).
2. The controller firmware upgrade disk firmwares upgrade included should be handled by local HP support team.
the pain is one part of the reality
tahir123
Advisor

Thanks alot guys, i have intalled the harddrive, and level has completed disks are now in disk group and more space is showing in the Disk Group

i have one more question now i navigate the Vdisk where is showing

your requested space = 600GB
availabel = 600GB

i am going to add additional 250GB in the same disk group

please can some one help me i will entered there 600 + 250 mean 850GB or only i type there 250GB and click it save that will be included in exiting 600 GB

the help will be appriciated

Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

When you want to increase a virtual disk's size, you enter the NEW SIZE and press [Save changes], not how many GigaBytes you want to add.

If I remember correctly, you cannot SHRINK a virtual disk on an EVA3000 anyway, so it does not do any harm when you enter a smaller value than the current capacity (you just get an error message), but on a modern EVA you really, really can destroy data if you do not read the messages...
tahir123
Advisor

Hi Zessin, you mean i will enter new size that will be 850GB and click on save who long it will take to reserve new space or immediately.

second please you are saying if i will enter size smaller then current it will not destroy the data just give me the error message.

third when i add disk in disk gourp it has take 3 hours it is the normal time.

i was confused first i add 1 disk before the level complete 100% i add second disk in the disk group is it the rigth way or wrong.

please can you assist me
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Hm, I'd say it will take a few minutes to expand the virtual disk by 250 GByte. The EVA uses quite complex data structures to manage the virtualization. It takes some to go though the meta-data. Let's not forget that it must be in a way that a crash does not create any inconsistencies.

Yes. Even if you had a system that allowed a virtual disk shrink it WILL give you a warning and you have to confirm it.

I'll attach a partial screenshot with the error message from a system that does not allow a shrink.

You can add multiple disks at once to a disk group. Insert the disks one by one. Then go to the Disk Group's properties page and press [Add disks]. CV-EVA will show you how many disk drives you can add at maximum, but you can enter any value between 1 and the maximum (ok, I don't know what happens if you enter 0 or a negative value - anybody wants to try? ;-)
tahir123
Advisor

Hi, Guys with all of your help i have successully increase the capacity it's showing in Vdisk but i am not able to see on windows server 2003

is it i have to click again on Disk Presendt in EVA ?

or i have to check only the operating sytem ?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

No you shouldn't have to represent the disk...

In order to get Windows to see the extra capacity you need to extend the file system with the DISKPART utility.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

Cheers,

Rob
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Right, there is no need fiddle with the disk presentation.

- Open the Windows Disk Management application (diskmgmt.msc).

- Right-Click "Disk Management" (on the left side in the console tree) and use "Rescan Disks".

- Now you should see unpartitioned space at the end of the expanded disk.

- If you have opened an RDP/Terminal Services session, you might have to logout and login again to see the result.

- Run DISKPART and extend the partion and file system as described in the MS knowledge base article.

- Enjoy the new free space ;-)
tahir123
Advisor

Thanks Guys, i have completed the tasks with you help.

i am going to prepare for second face i am not sure either i will continue the same thread or open new thread for that job as long as part for the same system.

i neet you lot of help even i am going to take EVA management course from tomorrow. but i don't think that will be covered deeply for my next phase that is adding new drive enclosure with 14 x 146 GB FC HDD i will appriciate any help to provide me step by step to implementation in the live environment along all pre & post deep technical steps i have to taken for successful implementation for new enclosure.