4032 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA3000 and unmappable device.

Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

EVA3000 and unmappable device.

Hello All,

I have a EVA3000 2C1D. it runs VCS.4004.
All the devices grouped under "unmappable devices" (both controllers and disk enclosures and HDDs.) However I can connect the commandview to the controllers and configure it. Also I created group disk and Vdisk and defined the hosts and presented the Vdisks to hosts but non of the hosts can detect and use the Vdisks. please advice is there any relation between unmappable device and this problem. Also why do the devices grouped under "unmappable devices"? what should I do?

Hasan
11 REPLIES 11
harsr
Advisor

Hi

Check the zoning configuration in your fabric switches.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Switch zoning has nothing to do with it.

I guess you have a problem on the Cabinet Address Bus (grey cables on the left side) which is used for assigning enclosure addresses. Please DO NOT make changes to the EVA configuration while you have unmapped objects - the placement algorithms can fail badly.

I suggest that you get in contact with your service provider to diagnose the problem. It could be something simple like a loose or missing terminator, but that is hard to tell from here.
Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

Thank you all.
What is unmappable devices? and when a device is grouped under it?
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

Hi Hasan,

Im not sure if the unmappable devices problem is related to your hosts not being able to see the vdisks you have created (I think it is probably two different problems).

However, I would not recommend attaching production hosts while your EVA is reporting all devices as unmappable.

You appear to have two problems -
1. Unmappable deives showing Command View
2. Hosts cannot see Vdisks

Problem 1 is quite possibley related to the CAB as Uwe has suggested.

Problem 2 though could definitely be zoning. Can your HBAs see the WWPNs of the EVA storage ports. If you have Windows hosts and Emulex HBAs you can check this with either HBAnywhere or Light Pulse Utility. If you have Qlogic HBAs then you can use SANsurfer.

You can also check zoning and accessible devices from your SAN switches.

If you need any advice on how to do this just post some more details up here such as switches type/model and HBA model....

mackem
Talk about the XP and EVA @ http://blog.nigelpoulton.com
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

A device is put into the unmappable hardware folder when the system is unable to find out its hardware position.
Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

Hello,

I fixed the cab cable and now all the devices are ok and non of them are grouped under unmappable devices.
However the other problem still exists. I have one HP-UX server and one Windows server. on windows server I installed commandview too. I connect to commandview and create Vdisks and preset them to HP-UX and Windows. However non of the servers can detec Vdisks. Also both of the servers can detect HSVs.here is a result of ioscan from HP-UX

# ioscan | grep HSV
0/2/1/0.1.4.0.0.0.0 ctl HP HSV101
0/2/1/0.1.4.255.0.0.0 ctl HP HSV101
0/2/1/0.1.5.0.0.0.0 ctl HP HSV101
0/2/1/0.1.5.255.0.0.0 ctl HP HSV101

Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

Hi Hasan,

It looks like your zoning is OK if you're servers can see the EVAs front end storage ports.

When you created your hosts did you manually enter the WWPNs of the hosts HBAs or did you choose them from the drop down list. If you enterred them manually then you may have made a typo etc. Anyway, what I would suggest wouldbe to delete one of your hosts in Command View and recreate it and make sure that you choose the WWPNs from the drop down list. Then test again on this host.

Also, I have seen people get confused when Auto mapping of LUNs is not enabled on an HBA. Without Auto mapping set, the HBA can see the LUNs but does not map them and present them to the OS.

mackem
Hasan_9
Regular Advisor

Thank you,

I already defiend the host by choosing WWN from the drop down list.
What tha Auto mapping of LUN is? Whould you please explain some more about ir? How can I check it?

Hasan
Nigel Poulton
Respected Contributor

How you check this setting may depend on your HBA make and model and which HBA tools you have installed. I see that you are running HP-UX and Im not an expert on this OS so somebody else may have to help you find how to see this setting.

Auto-mapping of LUN is as follows -
If Auto-mapping is enabled on an HBA, the HBA will autmatically present any LUNs it sees to the OS. So if you present 2 LUNs from your EVA, as soon as the HBA sees them it will automatically make them visilbe to the OS and therefore any volume manager on your OS.
If Auto-mapping is disabled, the HBA will not automatically present LUNs to the OS. It will wait for you to map a FC LUN number to a LUN number that the OS understands. Once this is done the LUN will be available to the OS.

You may also be able to use HBA tools or the HBA BIOS to see if the HAB can see the vdisks. This lets you see what LUNs the HBA can see. If the HBA can see LUNs but your OS cannot then I would suggest it looks like a LUN mapping problem on the HBA.

mackem