1753435 Members
4586 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA3000 not visible on Management Appliance

Piyush Agrawal_2
Occasional Advisor

EVA3000 not visible on Management Appliance

I am just installing my first EVA 3000 with 2C2D configuration. All came bundled with it including Management Appliance (MA), as it should. I did physical check, entered WWN and checksum on OCP of HSV 100 controllers. Then I entered BASIC license on MA. But my MA can not discover the EVA. The connetivity to EVA is through compaq's 8-port SAN switch. My query is :

1. Will the MA discover EVA3000 without BASIC license?

2. Even though I have installed license, EVA3000 is not visible. Do I need to upgrade my MA. Since I just received this EVA (about a month back), I believe that it should be up to date in terms of patches etc.

thanks
Piyush Agrawal
Do it Right the First Time.
8 REPLIES 8
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA3000 not visible on Management Appliance

Piyush:

There are several variants of your product. You should go here and select the appropriate model: http://productfinder.support.hp.com/tps/ProductFinder?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&h_tool=software&h_query=eva3000&submit.x=7&submit.y=4
Then select the appropriate OS (WIN2K, I assume) and you'll be able to download the latest 'Platform Kit' in either ISO or ZIP format. ISO is an attractive alternative since you can burn a CD directly with it but it's a 78MB download.

Hope this helps.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Have you followed this procedure:

"The basic license must be tied to the WWN. This is done using the License Fulfillment Process. You will receive an Authorization ID on a License Key Retrieval Instruction Sheet. You will provide the Authorization ID and the WWN to the license fulfillment Web site. The license fulfillment Web site will then generate and send back a license key. This license key ties the WWN to the license. When this license key is entered into the HSV Element Manager, it unlocks VCS on both controllers, and you can begin using your storage system."
If you don't have internet access there is a manual procedure available to retrieve the license key.

By the way, the Platform Kit I referred to in my other post is very recent (Oct. 2003).

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Piyush Agrawal_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Roger !!

I have Windows 2000 and I've got the platform kit too in the shipment.

But I believe that without even any Server hooked on the SAN, we should be able to configure EVA3000 like Disk Group, Virtual Disks etc. etc. Only when it comes to presenting the Virtual disks to hosts, that we need hosts and platform kits.

My basic question is that MA should discover EVA3000, which it is not doing.

thanks
Piyush
Piyush Agrawal_2
Occasional Advisor

I have done all that procedure over the License Website, got the license through email and have plugged it into the Command View EVA. Still the storage can not be discovered on SAN and MA can not see the EVA3000. None of the fault lights are glowing and hence no hardware failure indication. Anyway this is EVA3000 right out of the box and I do not expect any hardware problem whatsoever.

Is there any SSU command with which I can query the EVA and see if it can be reached.

thanks
Piyush
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Piyush:

Have you tried contacting HP. As far as I know, you're eligible for free installation support with an EVA3000.

Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Syria, and Yemen - all products except enterprise
+971 4 8838454
Saturday to Thursday
9A.M-7 P.M UAE Time
arabic and english

See: http://welcome.hp.com/country/me/eng/contact_us.html
for more HP contact info.

HTH

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Piyush Agrawal_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Roger. I guess that is the only option left. I must reach out to HP.

Thanks Any Way
Piyush
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Stupid question here. Is the Management appliance connected to the SAN fabrics, and zoned so that it can see the EVA? You may have done the physical connections, but did you remember to add the Zoning component if you have zoning enabled?

VMS SAN mechanic
David Tapper
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

You should be able to see the EVA without any license. Check the connections from the EVA to the fabric and from the Appliance to the fabric.

Logon to the switch and do a "switchshow".
Can you see WWN from the Controller ports on the EVA? Can you see the WWN of you FCAs in the Appliance?

It might be necessary to set the port speed to 1 GB/sec on the ports which the Appliance connects to in the fabric. The FCAs in the Appliance is only 1 GB/sec.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
David