4752 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA3000 - notifications

Rafal Niesiobedzki
Frequent Advisor

EVA3000 - notifications

Hello,
I've got some little problem with notification and EVA3000. System is full configured and working 100% OK, but... there is no devices in Notification window.
Please give me some solution.
Screen in attachment.
BR
RaV
9 REPLIES 9
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

have you run a Local SAN Discovery yet? (under Settings -> Discovery)
You also have to setup command view EVA to send notifications to the appliance (even though they are the same machine). see here:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=832832

Regards,
Stephen
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

Personally I recommend installing webes and not bothering with the open-view som notification hassle.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

This is SMA notification - OVSOM notification is _another_ construction site :-(
Rafal Niesiobedzki
Frequent Advisor

Hello again,
Stephen, thanks for your help. After rescan I've got different situation. I'm not sure that only one Type is OK.
Configuration file and screenshot in attachment.
BR
RaV
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Rafal,

that screenshot looks OK. Now you need to define what events you want to generate a notification. You also have to setup notification in Command View EVA itself (see the link I posted above)
Sequence of Events:
Something happens on EVA (e.g. a disk fails). Command View EVA notices this and an event is generated in the EVA's event log. Then CV EVA sends a notification to an SNMP host (e.g. the appliance). You need to set this step up yourself! Then the appliance receives this event, and depending on the rules you define, sends e-mails.

Tom, I'm not sure if WEBES is available in EMEA (yet). Currently still using ISEE/Event View EVA to notify HP, but I think it will eventually be replaced by WEBES.

As for OVSOM.... don't get me started :-)

Regards,
Stephen
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

WEBES for windows 4.4 has this SEA (system event analyzer) that is able to send email notifications for EVA events with some error interpretation and warning thresholds. It's far from perfect, but it seems to work OK most of the time. I'm not kidding about not bothering with OV/SOM notification, your time will be much better spent doing other work you need to do. Search other articles here for more details.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Tom,
the problem is that different regions use different tools/ environments for a phone-home solution. An EVA installation partner has a contract with HP and cannot slap some arbitrary tools onto the system he delivers to the customer.
Rafal Niesiobedzki
Frequent Advisor

Hello again,
Do U know, there is some problems with SAN structure?

BR

RaV
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

Hi Uwe,

I agree there is a problem - there are too many distinct 'tools' that are available for storage monitoring, and they all are using the SANAPP or other MSwindows boxes:-) Quantity is being substituted for quality here....

If HP took 10% of the time and effort they do cranking out all these overlapping MSwindows GUI apps (seemingly designed by marketing departments), and redirected this time and effort towards (for example) improving secure-path for AIX, it would be a very good start.