1748210 Members
2749 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA4/8/6K as External Storage/XP BC Pair to XP array

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

EVA4/8/6K as External Storage/XP BC Pair to XP array

Does any one have the document on HP's Best Practice and Recommendation for virtualizing EVA arrays under XP10/12/24K ?

I though best practice was to present large VDISKS from the EVA to the XP and use CVS/Volume-Management to slice the EVA large vdisk into smaller LDEVs (Open-Vs or CVs to match XP LDEVs to form BC Pairs?

We're engaging an HP Storage Consultant but he says he has not heard of such pratice and it's been always one to one. So if we've 1024 PVOLs on the XP - we'll need to also carve/slice 1024 Vdisks from the EVAs. Is this correct?

Peter M or any storage guru want to comment ad point me to that document?

Thanks.

Hakuna Matata.
9 REPLIES 9
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA4/8/6K as External Storage/XP BC Pair to XP array

Hi,
here is the documentation:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1842567
the pain is one part of the reality
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

IBaltay,

Thanks but I could not find a statement in said docu about a best practice statement for EVA arrays as ES/XP BC pair to an XP as Peter Mattei mentioned:

"
Best practice of our engineers here is not to create ES volumes 1:1 but creating a larger LUN on the EVA (usually with the size of an XP internal array group for manageability) and then carve out CVS Volumes with the exact same sizes as the internal LDEVs."

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1220387637646+28353475&threadId=1201598
Hakuna Matata.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
In my opinion, the best practice for the EVA External storage is to create only one XP LDEV per EVA virtual disk and 1 virtual disk from EVA shall not be divided into the several LDEVs in the XP
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Because otherwise there is a risk of the data corruption...
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

For the best performance the most important is the correct External storage cache setting
via the following:
a) disabling the cache for external devices
b) partition cache for external devices
c) changing storage system modes
chapter 3 of the HP Storage works, XP external storage software user guide, xp 12000 disk array, etc. from above link
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

one small addition to be correctly understood pls:
it is certainly the XP cache setting for the external storages which i have commented in the previous comment.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

I guess we'll see...

Peter M... care to comment on your comment from that other thread?
Hakuna Matata.
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

Not very virtual, eh?
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

The virtualization here means that you can connect the other HP, Hitachi, IBM, EMC, etc. to the XP 10k/12k/24k and virtualize it like the XP storage poool