3308 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4000 and a M5314

SOLVED
Go to solution
Les Elwell

EVA4000 and a M5314

I have searched and searched and cannot find any documentation regarding the following:

We have an EVA4000 (The starter Kit); two controllers, one Disk Enclosure.

We now need to add a new Disk Enclosure, as the first enclosure is full. We have ordered a M5314 Drive Enclosure and 6 146 Fiber drives. The documentation instructions that comes with the drive enclosure are for an EVA5000 (which is loop switched - the EVA4000 is not).

Many people appear to have asked what the procedures are for this, but no one appears to be just answering the question.

There is no documenation for this on the HP website either.

Does anyone know the procedures for adding a new disk enclosure to an HP EVA4000 system? Or know where the documentation can be located. I have located documentation for Hardware configuration guides; but none of these documents discuss upgrading, or adding a new enclosure and how to do this.

My assumption at this point is to do this whilst the system is shutdown, and re-cable the unit into a 2C2D configuration; power up.

Any advice would be greatly received.
5 REPLIES 5
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Les,

Since you have searched for the doc (and will) I didn't search for any document but with my experience, you can upgrade the disk shelf online.

All you need is:
1. Rack the new shelf.
2. Install all the disks.
3. Install IO-A and IO-B modules in shelf.
4. Install EMU module.
5. Connect the CAB bus cable to EMU.
6. Connect the copper-FC cables to IO-A & IO-B (respective cables from both HSV controllers)
7. power up the shelf.
8. Wait till the EMU shows correct ID number.
9. Start commandView and browse through the hardware tab to check the health of EVA controllers and disk-shelf.

Hope this helps.
Les Elwell

Many thanks for the quick response:

Need to understand a little further in more details however:

Les,

All you need is:

1. Rack the new shelf.
>> OK - This is done
2. Install all the disks.
>> This is done
3. Install IO-A and IO-B modules in shelf.
>> Not sure what you mean by install modules?
4. Install EMU module.
>> Not sure what you mean by install module - sorry for appearing a little stupid?
5. Connect the CAB bus cable to EMU.
>> Understand this.
6. Connect the copper-FC cables to IO-A & IO-B (respective cables from both HSV controllers)
>> You mean re-cable in a 2C2D fashion?
7. power up the shelf.
8. Wait till the EMU shows correct ID number.
9. Start commandView and browse through the hardware tab to check the health of EVA controllers and disk-shelf.

Little concerned of doing this on-live, but will happily except advice. The first (and only at preset disk rack) is serving 4 clustered environments in a production environment, Exchange, Sharepoint, LCS and MPS; will this not cause issues with the servers and services running into a problem of corruption?

Many Thanks.

Thomas Martin
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Hello Les,

look at the attachment, there is the full installation guide to add an EVA enclosure without downtime. Its for EVA 4/6/8 k.

Thomas
Les Elwell

No idea were you found that from - I searched google and HP for over 2 hours yesterday, many thanks.
Les Elwell

Doc look spot on.