New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4000 to add disks or disk enclosure

SOLVED
Go to solution
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

EVA4000 to add disks or disk enclosure

guys,
There should be similiar threads on this furum, but I could not find them out, so I have to start a new thread.
We've got a EVA4000 2C1D with eight 146G HDs, configuring a default disk groups of 820G(why just much smaller than it should be?), now we want to expand it capacity, so adding disks or adding a disk enclosure would be our option.
1, how many disks we could add to that single disk enclosure we have now? I was heard that disks should be add in group of eights, was that true?
2, if not 1, adding a disk enclosure is the next option, what do we need to do taking this option? could someone offer me some guidelines?
3,would there be any license ristriction when we approach our goal?

regards
Stephen
10 REPLIES 10
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi!

6x146G=888 - so maybe you have dual disk protection level activated? Where do you see the 820G?

1. For EVA4000 - max 14 disks in a disk enclosure (M5314). It is recommended to whenever possible have an amount of disks that are dividible by 8 - it's for resilience reasons (see the concept of RSS, lots of posts about this on the forum).
2. you can do this online (upgrade firmware first if it's old) - you take out cables of one loop, put enclosure in, then repeat for the next loop.
3. depends what kind of license you have, maybe you "only" have the 1TB CV license? If so, if you add more disks you would need to purchase more licenses. You can see what you have in Command View.

For 2. you can find manuals here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64179&taskId=101&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=470490

See the "HP StorageWorks 4x00/6x00/8x00 Enterprise Virtual Array hardware configuration guide (5697-7338, February 2008)" and page 45 for how the cabling should be with 2C2D (2 controllers 2 disk enclosures).

There might be guides for how to do it but I don't know in which one.

Please find attached screenshot in order to get the disk placement for EVA4000. File name "EVA4000 disk placement".

Also, attached is the cabling diagram of 2C2D. File name "EVA4000 2C2D cable diagram".

Please find attached the screenshot for max capacity supported by 2C2D. File name "Max Storage Capacity for EVA4000".

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

S.K.,
your attached file was a zip file and un-readable.

regards
Stephen
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

It works for me (Win7 x64, Firefox 4 and Windows zip extractor.. default one).

It doesn't have a guide to how to do the upgrade though.

Hi Stephen/Johan,

Are you able to view the screenshots?

Which procedure you want me to share ?

Do you want me to share how to add disk enclosure?

I thought cabling diagram will help you on this and other screenshot for concept.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi, for me the screenshots work fine.

I am under the assumption that Stephen would like a step by step description/procedure for how to add a disk enclosure. A picture is good to have, but it doesn't tell you how to get there.

Hi Stephen/Johan,

Please find attached the procedure and check if it is helpful.

I would like to suggest you to log a call with HP to implement this.

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

S.K.,
that is just what I needed, thanks a lot

regards
Stephen

You are welcome bro.........

I work for HPE