Disk Enclosures
1748089 Members
4868 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: EVA4400 - 2 libraries in the same SAN zone

EVA4400 - 2 libraries in the same SAN zone

Hi,

Hava a SAN with 2 EVA4400 and three libraries.
With zones configured in host only to "see" EVAs I have no problems presenting new vdisks, but after adding the eight drives in the two libraries to the zone, presenting disk no longer working. Have too remove libraries from the zone, present disks and then readding libraries.

Need some guidelines in configuring zones for this environment. I want to remove backup traffic from the LAN and let hosts "see" the tape drives.

Using DataProtector 6 by te way.

Thank you

Regards
7 REPLIES 7
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

What libraries are involved and how did you set up the zones?

A library's FC/SCSI converter should not be in the same zone of a disk storage array, because some of them go out into the FC fabric and log in to the disk array.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Hi Sabastian,

It is always recommended to have Single Initiator Single Target.

For Libraries, do a Hardzone.

Zones are configured like this:

Zone_Server1
(Server1_Port1,EVACTL1_Port1,EVACTL2_Port1,EVACTL1_Port2,EVACTL2_Port2)

Like this for every server (34 blades).

One zone for continuous access, with only EVA Controllers.

One zone for the backup server with the three librarys, two 8096 with 4 drives and one 2024 with one drive.

What I want to do is to send data directly form servers to tape drive, so following your recomendations, I should create one additional zone for every server inlcuiding the library ports and the service ports, right?

Will test it and let you know.
Thank you very much for your responses.

Regards
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> EVACTL1_Port1,EVACTL2_Port1

Do CTRL1 and CRTL2 belong to the same EVA system? If not, you have created, what I call a 'leak' between two EVA systems. One day you might want to disable the communication between both systems by deactivating the CA-EVA zone(s), but replication will continue - due to the 'leaks'.

I really do bother and create two independent zones from a server to each EVA system. Yes, it is quite some work, but I avoid some 'surprises'.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

The rule for zoning is always that two devices that do not talk directly with each other must not be on the same zone.
A MSL does not access a EVA directly. Typically, there's a server that accesses the disks on the EVA, and performs backup on the MSL. So you need a zone with server + MSL and another zone for server + EVA.
Also, it's recommeded to use a different HBA port for each zone.

Ok, thank you all. Will follow your directions.

Best Regards

Closed. Everything is working fine now.

Regards