108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA4400 Enclosure Loop Question

SOLVED
Go to solution
morrisosu
Advisor

EVA4400 Enclosure Loop Question

Quick EVA question. On the EVA4400, can the controllers manage the other Disk Enclosures (say ones below) a drive enclosure/shelf that has been completely powered down? In other words can the controllers still see the remaining other enclosures if both I/O modules are removed on one enclosure? The cabling intuitively indicates this is possible, but that doesn't always mean anything.

What we need to do is replace a disk enclosure without downtime, all disks in the enclosure have been un-grouped btw.

Thanks so much!
6 REPLIES 6
IBaltay
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: EVA4400 Enclosure Loop Question

Hi,
this could help you:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01419085/c01419085.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

only the disk enclosure additon and not removal is supported online
the pain is one part of the reality
morrisosu
Advisor

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info!
hpite
Frequent Advisor

If you are replacing the whole enclosure AND you have the new enclosure standing by, I think it would be possible to add the new enclosure, move the drives and then recable to bypass the old enclosure. When recabling, you would do one loop at a time.

If you do not have the spare enclosure handy, then it might be possible to bypass one I/O module at a time (ie connect the cable in P1 to the next enclosure). Then you would have bypassed the whole enclosure.

Since all your drives are ungrouped, there is no data accessible anyway. So you might as welldo this offline?
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

sure there is a way to do this online, but it's not supported. So I would schedule downtime and do this offline.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
morrisosu
Advisor

Well just the enclosure that has the bad bay and needs to be replaced has no drives grouped, so there are other enclosures with drives grouped (both above and below the defective enclosure). I can't un-group them all as I need the capacity to stay online.

However, I see what you all are saying how it should be possible, just not supported.
Rampy(Venu)
Frequent Advisor

Just make sure that if you have ungrouped all the drives in that enclosure and removed them out of the bay then dont wait too long to get a downtime as it might lead to certain loop issues.
So as quickly as possible replace the enclosure and add the drives,start grouping.