108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: EVA4400 and ESX 4.1 mru failover

SOLVED
Go to solution
inex
Super Advisor

So if I set it to path-A-Failover/Failback and use fixed path, that will not do the trick either?

-inex
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Fixed uses one controller port only and is an individual setting for each ESX host. If one adapter path of one host fails, there is a chance that you can cause path thrashing.

Hm, didn't we have discussed this already?
inex
Super Advisor

We did, but I did not get complete answers for my questions
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Oh, sorry. I must have lost track with all those many threads.

No offense - I think it is better to write a small reminder in the original thread so it gets 'pushed up' and another notification mail is send out.
That way we don't lose the context and have to start from scratch again.

Did you get your question answered, now?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

c02728798 - HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array (EVA) - Multipath Configuration Best Practices for Lun or Vdisk with VMware vSphere 4

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02728798

Note:
2. Best practice for path policy (For more details, refer page 15 of the above document).

Avoid using Fixed I/O path policy with vSphere 4 and EVA.
inex
Super Advisor

I know this document. Fixed path is supported and I feel it is a better way of controlling the i/o on the different host ports. A downside is that it requires more configuration.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
we use Eva4400 and Eva6000 under ESX, multipath set to RR, everything work as should.

Jan
inex
Super Advisor

What version of ESX do you have?

Do you use Path-A-Failover/FailbackPath and B-Failover/Failback on the luns?

When running i/o on one lun, is all 4 host ports in use, or only the two host port on the managing controller?

Have you tested what happens with the luns if one controller fails? Do the luns fail back to the original setup, once the controller problem is solved?

thanks

-inex

Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

hello,
we use ESX4u2 and ESX4.1 in mixed way, planning upgrade to ESX4.1 on all servers.
All disk are spread across Eva controllers with Failover/Failback settings.
As I remember, after recovering from failure disks go back to managing controller, but I will try it and come back as I am on vacation right now.

Jan
DirkRue

Hello together,

i think you´ll may can give me a hint, because you have some knowledge about HP EVA.

When you have two EVA 4400 with CA, is it possible to design an automatic failover for LUNs with vmware

without using  VMware Site Recovery ...? Just on the level of Storage and Controller.

We got a client (we didn´t install the EVAs) and they say, that after a failover the must presented manually the LUNs.

Thanx a lot.

Dirk