EVA5000 logging

Hi,

we are looking for a way to get all log messages into a simple log file
by using the format
4 REPLIES 4
Matt Burgess
Frequent Advisor

Re: EVA5000 logging

The log files are stored in binary, so you can't do this without internal HP tools.

What I would suggest is that in the "set options" section in Command View EVA, you set 127.0.0.1 (the SMA itself) as the trap destination. The EVA events will then be forwarded to the log inside the SMA http interface and you can control the forwarding of events (snmp, pager or email) through the 'notification' section in the SMA http interface.

The smtp mail server address/authentication can be added in the 'network' section and and the email addresses are added in 'users' to the user accounts you wish to notify.

Hope this helps
Matt
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Edmund,

If you don't mind .. may I ask what's the interest in the EVA's logs? Are you also having problems with your EVA 5000's? Are you additionally on ILF logging on your controllers?

Hakuna Matata.
Tom O'Toole
Respected Contributor

Edmund,

My experience (one that appears to be shared by many) is that the design of the SANapp's logging/notification is cumbersome, overwrought, and ineffective. At my organization, we have tried several different tacks, with the help of HP service, to get meaningful and timely alerts sent out via email. The best so far has been the newest version of WEBES. Give this a try.
Trying to rely on OSM for event notification is futile, and a big time sink.

Nelson,

Can you elaborate on "ILF logging"? I haven't heard of this.

I can't comment for Edmund, but here we are interested in getting email notifications for all 'significant' events on our storage controllers. With HSG80 controllers we have a great setup - the controllers directly report all events on their serial console ports, which are routed into polycenter console manager where we have complete control of filtering, formatting, and notifications. With the SANapp they've taken basic logging and notification management away from the sysadmin and put it into this huge pile of 'vendor tools', designed to function at a meeting/sales level.
Can you imagine if we used PCs to manage our enterprise systems? ... oops.
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

I never got to ask what ILF stands for but HP enables this on EVA5K's that have shown signs of unexplained instability at VCS 3.010 to 3.014. It supposedly captures all actvities on the EVA that is really valuable for HP Engineering to find out exactly what was going on when EVAs fail (Oh yes they fail hard..!) It uses a dedicated disk and sorts of functions like a black box of sorts.. continously logging all activity on the EVA.. the performance penalty is estimated at 5% I was told..
Hakuna Matata.