108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA6000, RSS groups when adding disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Simon R Wootton
Regular Advisor

EVA6000, RSS groups when adding disks

I have an EVA6000 with 8 shelves, each populated with 10 disks (80 disks total). Each disk is 146Gb 15k.

I managed to get vertical RSS grouping down each column of disks within the array, each column containing 8 disks, therefore 10 RSS groups for the array.

I have just added a further 8 disks (using slot 11 in each shelf) and the RSS groups have gone all over the place, with some shelves containing 2 disks in the same RSS group.

The main 'column' of disks affected seems to be column 6 (slot 6 in each shelf).

I want to acheive vertical RSS groups again, but understand there is no table or setting that can be manipulated to achieve this easily. I managed it before by ungrouping/grouping disks individually, but this was difficult and I can't remember exactly how I achieved it.

I have another 8 disks to add, once the initial 8 extra one's are added OK (these will populate slot 12 in each shelf).

There's loads of points waiting for anyone who can help with organising RSS groups !!

Regards
Simon
8 REPLIES 8
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: EVA6000, RSS groups when adding disks

Hi Simon,

How did you group the new 8 disks ?

If they were all grouped in one go, then I would have thought they should have gone into a new RSS group...

Cheers,

Rob
Simon R Wootton
Regular Advisor

Hi Rob

Physically added the 8 disks into slot 11 on each shelf (with 5 mins gap). EVA is set to manually add disks. Then selected each disk and grouped it into the single disk group that we use.

Simon
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

OK. That explains it. Once all the disks were inserted, you should have added all 8 to the group in one go, by selecting the Add Disks button on the Disk Group rather than each individual disk...

Cheers,

Rob
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately, there is not really a way to prevent mis-organized RSSes. I have even seen them when an empty disk group on an EVA 8000 2C12D was expanded :-(

I have an RSS analyzer I can run against the output of SSSU's "ls disk full xml". If you can attach it as a text file, I can take a look at it.
For reasons I don't want to explain it might take a few days to get back, though.
Simon R Wootton
Regular Advisor

Thanks Rob & Uwe

Rob - good call, my mistake - I'll do this next time. I've ungrouped the disks at fault and will to re-do the groups using the method you describe instead - many thanks.

Uwe - thanks for the offer, I might take you up on this depending on the outcome of the method described by Rob above.

Cheers
Simon
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Simon,

After you've ungrouped the disks, you should check that the RSSs are back where you expect them to be. As Uwe says, the placement of the RSS groups can be a bit unpredictable.

What you can do to reorganise things, if you can afford some downtime, is to move the disks. Label up where each disk is in each RSS group, then shut down the EVA. Move the disks so the RSSs are vertical again, then power back on. The usual caveat applies though - make sure you have a verified backup first !

Cheers,

Rob
Simon R Wootton
Regular Advisor

Ungrouped the disks in question and checked that original RSS groups were back - they were.

I've now added 8 disks into the disk group using the add disks option as suggested, appears to have worked a treat.

Many thanks for your help Rob.

Regards
Simon
Simon R Wootton
Regular Advisor

See forum thread for details.